Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine told me that he got a ticket recently, here in Florida. You won't believe what it was for. Wait for it-honking to let someone know he had a package for them. This is a common practice for deliverers.
Apparently there is a law saying you can only use your horn for emergencies. So if someone at Walmart is talking on the phone, and you can't drive around him to get out, you can't honk him away.
Beware Honkers, or you could end up with a nasty ticket.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
There are many noise ordinances that honking could violate. It's likely because it was a residential area and someone complained. It would probably be different in a Walmart parking lot as ambient noise is much higher.

Perhaps Honkees in Florida are too sensitive.

Yes. I'm LOL'ing at myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
probably

I don't think most people realize that it's a violation. It is hard to remember every rule. I have read driver's manuals from three different states, and I didn't remember. It seems a shame to ticket a delivery truck for that.
It seems to be a common practice to honk for big packages, especially if it's pouring.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I dunno, the guy must have sat outside a house obnoxiously laying on the horn to actually get a ticket.
I honked at a cop the other day (just a light little wake up tap). They regularly sit at lights working on their laptops, and every once in a while they need a little nudge to get going. He just waved and took off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts