Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I remember reading a tread about how to attach a bike rack to the Insight.

When I bought my Insight in 2000, I had sold my wife and I bikes and bought folding bikes cause the dealer did not permit to attach a bike rack. They said it would void the body warrenty (steel against aluminium creates corrosion to the aluminium)

Here is how I carry two bikes into my Insight. Takes about 4 minutes to go in or out. Still space for bags, helmets and other stuff:

http://www.md92raid.100freemb.com/foldingbicycle.html

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI,

Yes it is me in the picture. They fit easily side by side because they have 20 inch wheels. One folds in about 30 seconds.
We also have don an overnight but with small tent and sheets (no sleeping bags)

They are Dahon bikes. They also make a folding mountain bike with 26 inch wheels (called Mariner 26 if I remember). But once folded it mesures 13x28x38 so 1 will fit easily but 2 will not fit in.

It is nice to see you can remove the wheels to make it fit in. It probably gives the same advantages (size) has folding bikes without the cost (with a little more effort)

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HI Fred,

They are about the same. Where they differ:
- Slower top speed, because of the smaller wheels and 6 speeds
- Little more flex from the frame (specially handle bar)
- I had to install custom 'foot strap' (I do not know what to call them, calle-pieds in French) the things that holds the foot to the pedal to allow more force pedalling up/down. Because the pedals fold and are different from the standard pedals
- A little rougher ride because of the smaller wheels

But you gain space in the car, easy transportation and storage
It was the only solution I found then, to carry two bikes.

Guillermo, very nice bikes.
At the time I bought mine, there was an all aluminium one (actual brand is Mikado which uses Dahon parts) but it was twice the price and 2 pounds less. But better tires. They where 80 psi cold while mine are 50 psi
More pressure is better if you weight more than 200 pounds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.