Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driveway has a taller than average curb. Yesterday when I was backing my car from the street into my driveway in reverse, when I hit the curb I heard like a pop. The car then rolled forward and now doesn't move when I shift into any gear. The car still puts on reverse lights when shifting into reverse. It still went into Auto stop in neutral. The physical shifting of the car still feels normal, the car just doesn't move at all. I checked the shifting linkage under the hood and it seems to move normally. Still have clutch fluid. Anyone have any idea what went out? So these symptoms point to something specific. Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
10,772 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I jacked the car up and looked underneath but didn't see anything extremely obvious. Then again I wasn't looking for anything particular. Would those issues be obvious? Some more searching is making me think potentially something in my clutch blew up. Is there anyway to check this without dropping the trans? If I do end up replacing the clutch, would something like below be all I would need?

https://www.amazon.com/Clutch-Hatchback-2000-2006-Naturally-Aspirated/dp/B07GY3SJ8M/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=honda+insight+clutch+kit&qid=1555311502&s=gateway&sr=8-3

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like an Inboard cv joint might have popped out it only has to come out 1/2” to keep the car from moving check both inner joints to be sure they do pop out easily on Honda’s not just Insights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
with the car on jackstands and transmission in gear spin one front wheel. The other one should spin in the opposite direction. When doing this, get under the car and make sure the axle spins with the wheel and verify it right up to the tranaxle. Do both wheels. Looks for tears in the CV joint boot covers. As mentioned, make sure the inner CV joints are firmly seated in the transaxle. Skip to the 7:00 minute mark on this video and notice how there is a minimum gap between the CV joint and the transaxle, just enough to get a prybar in there. Any more is too much and you need to pop the CV joint back in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for detailed instructions. I will post back shortly some more diagnostic info from these instructions

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also to further on my original post, it wasn't until the front tires hit the curb was when this happened.

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
Yeah. Go aftermarket. I'd do just the passenger side.

Sam

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
The broken axles apparently are a common problem in the "Snow Zone" states.
Not because of snow, but because of the salt they put on the roadways.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
That axle break looks strange to me - sure doesn't look like a recent break. The end of the shaft looks corroded and dirty. I would expect "cleaner" metal to be showing..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree. It had to have a hairline crack that was rusting out and the drive-way curb popped it apart. That is my best guess.

Fyi I ordered the Rock Auto Parts. Says they shipped to be delivered Thursday. I'll keep everyone posted how they work out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Living in Ohio have had to replace this 2xs on 2000mt. Hardest part is cracking the axle Nut. Lots of PB blaster. Also, the first time I did it I busted the ball joint; the second time I removed the whole A arm the ball joint rests on. Also, the second time I had & used an Ingersol Rand Impact at 100lb and it came right off. Impact wrenches make this job go a whole lot faster... Don’t forget to pack the new axle with plenty of grease. 2000 MT with 248K.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I didn't realize CV axles are apparently special on the insight. The dealer quoted $1700 just in parts to replace both sides. Does anyone know if the Rock Auto parts will work for $100 instead.
yea, those will be fine. You can also get new replacements from oreilly autoparts for under $100. If you have any trouble finding them, I've got 3 passenger spares and would see one to ya. (yea, I'm a shameless parts hoarder)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Call and see if they really have the parts. My experience with a shifter cable is that they have it on their website, but they can't actually get the part.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts