Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Newb...just purchased my insight about a month ago. So far, it's been the "ideal" car for my purposes.

About the one issue that's come up is the need to carry my bikes though. I only carry two at most at any given time.

Which is the best bike carrier? I'm not advervse to any unit, but I'd like something that doesn't effect the fuel consumption too much (a little worried that the overheads would do that)

But, considering I travel all over the states to ski too, maybe the overheads are best?

tia,
Chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doesn't anyone carry bikes with their insights?

·
Registered
184 Posts
My two Dahon folding bikes fit just fine and keep the car clean aerodynamically. For serious stuff, maybe an upscale Bike Friday would complement the Insight better. :roll: Do a Forum search, as this topic has been exhaustively covered over the years. JoeS.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My apologies. Hope i didn't exhaust you anymore than need be :lol:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Joe, thanks for the Bike Friday link. I was going to try a bike rack, but now I'm going to look into one of those cool bikes. Looks like they would fit right into the cargo bin.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Chris, the Insight will take a standard trunk rack - I use a bog standard Hollywood - just make sure you get some barrel adaptors for the top straps as the Insight’s doesn’t have a metal frame for the rear windshield and the standard metal clips can crack the glass.

At slow speeds having the bike on the back doesn’t make much difference on mpg, on the motorway though I’ll loose 5-10 mpg. Must admit that I only ever put one bike on the rack, but I think that’s me being conservative rather than any problems with the car’s ability to take the strain.

You can also get a bike comfortably on the rear deck if you take off the wheels and drop the saddle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As a triathlete, I must say you are driving the wrong car if you need to haul around two bikes.

I know when I was looking into buying the Insight back in 2001, I told the car dealer that if I could fit my bike it, I wasn't buying it. I drove the car home, put the bike with no trouble, drove back to the dealership... and now you know the rest of the story...

That said, two bikes... The Insight is not the car for that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a 1-1/4" receiver installed on my 2006 Insight and I use a Hollywood Sport Rider 2-bike rack. If I'm only taking my bike, I remove 2 wheel holders and one hook and it becomes a compact 1-bike rack.

My hitch was installed by HitchCrafters in Costa Mesa, CA. Because it was all custom fabrication, it was pricey, right at $400.00. However, I drive to rides 4 times a week, so it was worth it for me.

If I'm only carrying one bike, and want to maximize MPG (long drives to the start of a double century for example), I remove the rack, take the wheels off the bike and pack it all inside.

Rick / 2006 CVT

·
Registered
124 Posts
I personnaly have a Grabber bike rack wich works quite good.
I know that Saris makes exellent bike rack also, a bit pricy but well buit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thought I'd chime in here since I just drove 200 miles with a bike rack and 2 bikes (plus a passenger and a full car of stuff)! It did fairly well- this is one of those universal ones that secures to the rear of the vehicle. I managed 50 MPG from Maine to Mass. then back up to NH (read: hilly), but noticed a good deal of bouncing (it was windy on the highway) and had to use the IMA more. But, we kept up with traffic and made it home in one piece. :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
i have no problem fitting my full mountain bike in the back

take the front tire off and fold up the front seat and the bike fits fine

just one problem i have run into is how to keep it all clean after a fun day on the trails :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts