Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had my insight for several years now and have hum hoed about the performance and have said on mpg issues what I really think about it was far as it being a hyper mileage car etc... In a nutshell the slower you drive the better the mileage "big deal" that's with just about any car...

I have since learned to use lean burn as best as I can and not use the IMA as much and that helps and brings the car to a respecatable 4L/100KM average... eg.. about 60mpg...

However something bizzare happened to me today while I was on the highway... I don't know if I'll ever get a satisfactory explanation from anyone on this board but I just have to tell the story.

I was driving my regular wimpy 90-100KM/h and as usual had a tailgater on me for a while do to my wimpy speed... this went on for a while tailgater after tailgater eventually I got sick of it myself and decided mileage or no mileage I'm speeding to....

So as usual the IMA went up mileage went up and I drove with wreckless abandonment without any care for mileage...

All of a sudden "and this has never happened before" the engine came alive and I started going faster faster faster going between 130-140 KM/H and what was even stranger is that my mileage was going lower staying between 2.5/4.0L averaging around 3L/100KM/H and now I was the one tailgating people... I have never felt the engine perform like that before and have never seen it handle this way before either... some serious power and speed (comparatively speaking) for an insight...

yes yes... lean burn all those other factors you can bring in... remember I'm an experienced driver of the car so I know how it performs... and have seen lean burn at work before.... but certainly not like this....

I was blowing by people at 135-140 and at times just doing 2L/100KM it was amazing.... I guess I'm posting this because I just have no explanation for this.. I have no mods whatsoever on this car nothing nada...

It was a thing of beauty... and I hope to see this again...

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi meow,

Interesting story. And to help keep this topic from being too fractured I am locking this thread and asking that all follow-ups be posted in meow's other multiposted thread here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3273

Multiposting is strongly discouraged in most forums because it splits the replies making it more difficult for members to follow a topic of interest.

In *rare* cases such as this, that such a topic is a good fit for more than one forum, cross posting is the preferred method. Post the primary thread in the chosen forum then a "look here" thread in the other, with a link.

Thanks for you cooperation :!: :)

HTH! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.