Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all you Insightful Folks,
I just ordered a set of Blaupunkt PCxb652 Speakers to replace the door speakers in my new Insight. Does anyone have any experience to offer concerning the installation process for door speakers? I ordered the speakers from Crutchfield who said they should fit with a little bit of cut out on the Insight's plastic mounting bracket. I would like to avoid any cutting if possible.
Concerning the back speakers...are they the same size as the door speakers? Crutchfield recommends speakers for the door of the Insight but has no information for the rear speakers.
If this project goes OK, I plan to eventually move ahead with a component system, probably Polk, for the front and switch the new Blaupunkt door speakers to the back.
One step at a time :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
i put a set of blaupunkt 6.5" speakers in the doors of my insight. i dont know the model number, but they cost me less than 30 bux delivered off of ebay. 2-1/8" deep, i think. no problems with the fit, just dropped in. pop off the speaker cover, take out the screws, and swap the wires over to the new ones. nothing to it.

most folks say NOT to put speakers in the rear holes. it messes up the soundstage. i put a 6.5" mtx woofer in the left-hand hole, but the right side has a duct behind it that makes it tough to put in a deep speaker, which the mtxes are. i did manage to put in an 8" mtx in the right rear corner of the baggage area, and another mtx 6.5 in the left fron corner of the baggage area. sounds sweet!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sometimes you have to cut some plastic to fit the front speakers in. It depends on how deep the speakers are. My Infinity 6012si speakers fit without any cutting. If you don't need to cut anything, then installation is a breeze.

If you do cut the plastic, then try to cut as little as possible, or use a dremmel tool to grind away some plastic. Some people have reported water leaks caused by cutting away too much plastic.

The rear speakers are the same size as the front speakers. Also the rear holes are really deep, so you won't need to do any cutting there. In the future I would recommend removing your rear speakers and replacing them with a sub. It sounds much better. But like you said, one step at a time.

Hope that helps,

James

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed the new Blaupunkt speakers today as a replacement for my rear speakers. Ouch!!! The installation went perfectly smooth as far as fit and the sound is much better than the factory Insight speakers. But I managed to slash my pinky finger while removing the wire connector from the original speakers :cry: There are some very sharp; i.e. thin, metal edges around the original speakers, so beware and be careful!!! My biggest concern was to avoid dripping blood on my new Insight's upholstery. All bandaged and the sound is much improved.
Now to buy a component speaker system to replace the door speakers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Replacement Speakers

Hi fellow Insighters,
I replaced the crappy stock speakers in my 2004 5-speed Insight with Kenwood 1669-S speakers front and back. No problems installing-drop in replacement. As far as sound stage-800% improvement, more balanced sound, mid and high ends are :p :p realistic, and low end excellent-enhanced by dimpled poly-propylene cones. I love listening to my system now-all music forms are realistically produced.
Ed Kayen

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I added a pair of Infinity Reference 6012si speakers to replace my Insight's door speaker. Easy as pie, no need to cut or modify anything.
Now the sound in my Insight is great! I have Blaupunt in the back and Infinity in the front. What a difference from the factory speakers.
I lisen to classical mostly but my Joni Mitchel sounds fantastic now too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts