Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 MT. A week ago or so the Maint Reqd light would stay on then start blinking when I started the engine. It would shut off shortly after and even if I did not start the engine, it would go off in less than a minute. I checked for OBD codes and nothing came up.

Also but unrelated, I had to replace the front battery. Before it almost died, both the Brake and ABS lights came on in addition to the charge light. Is this normal? I looked at the schematic and saw there was some connexion. After replacing the battery, everything was fine (except the blinking Maint Reqd).

Now totally unrelated - I only have one plastic and the metal under engine panel. Should I spring for the missing panel? Does it affect dynamics much?
I did put the radiator block in and that increased my winter mileage from 55 to about 61. I am now at about 72 but some cold is coming back.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
AppleTree said:
I have a 2000 MT. A week ago or so the Maint Reqd light would stay on then start blinking when I started the engine. It would shut off shortly after and even if I did not start the engine, it would go off in less than a minute. I checked for OBD codes and nothing came up.
No OBDII codes because the maintenance required light is not related to the check engine light. :idea: Read the online owner's manual RE: The maintenance reminder light:

F.A.Q.: Can I read the Insight manual online?
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=6066

·
Registered
922 Posts
From the 2006 manual because of a better explanation

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/IN0606/IN0606O00044A.pdf

"When the distance driven since the last scheduled maintenance reaches
6,000 miles (9,600 km), the indicator starts blinking. If you exceed 7,500
miles (12,000 km), the indicator stays on.

Your dealer will reset this indicator after completing the scheduled
maintenance. If this maintenance is done by someone other than your
dealer, reset the indicator as follows:

1.Turn off the engine.
2.Press and hold the TRIP button in
the instrument panel, then turn
the ignition switch to the ON (II)
position.
3.Hold the button for about 10
seconds until the indicator goes
off."

Also but unrelated, I had to replace the front battery. Before it almost died, both the Brake and ABS lights came on in addition to the charge light. Is this normal?
Shouldn't be an issue, the Insight does many weird and strange things with a weak 12v. battery.

I only have one plastic and the metal under engine panel. Should I spring for the missing panel? Does it affect dynamics much?
The panels are expensive:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...+DX+A/C&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FRONT+FENDERS
and they don't add that much to the drag of the car. I have been running mine without it since my last oil change. I'll probably put it back on next chance I have to get under the car.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Apple Tree: Just my opinion: Yes, spend the $35 + shipping for the other panel. For sure. Without it, the front aluminum panel is not nearly as strong, and all panels have a much greater liklihood of tearing off. And on long, freeway trips, it DOES makes a significant aero difference.

Those 3 bottom engine covers are one of my favorite parts of the Insight; I remove them often for cleaning. I would keep them all on, by all means!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
See those little pimples on the panel behind the bumper? They're there for a purpose, and it's not looks. :) Leaving off a panel is as big of a sin as running non-LRR tires--if you agree that that's a sin!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Dougie wrote:
See those little pimples on the panel behind the bumper? They're there for a purpose, and it's not looks. Leaving off a panel is as big of a sin as running non-LRR tires--if you agree that that's a sin!
Ok, ok, I put the panels back on this week...I am a repentant sinner :evil: [/quote]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts