Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Winter Storm Jonas... lots of people take pictures of snow, but it's almost impossible to really get a gut feeling for how much snow there really is under the surface. So I made a time lapse of the snowfall! The video covers 2016-1-22 1:34 pm (just before the first snowfall started) through 2016-1-23 10:55 pm.
Each frame in the video covers approximately 30 minutes of time, although sometimes I was late getting to the camera and so a timeslice can be up to ~42 minutes long.
Also, from 1:00 am until 8:00 am on 2016-1-23, I used 1 hour intervals so I could sleep slightly longer between alarms going off frown emoticon. These one-hour frames are doubled so that the accumulation rate is true to the snow event. The video does get slightly choppy through this part due to the slower refresh and the speed that the snow was falling through this period.
All in all, it is 61 frames @ 5 frames/second, giving a speed factor of ~9000x real time. Camera height was 34.5", which turned out amazing considering the final depth of the snow.
I hope you all enjoy it... it was a royal pain to open the door and take a shot every 30 minutes on the clock for more than 30 hours!

·
3,641 Posts
Cool video Sam....now get back to shoveling!

·
Super Moderator
4,806 Posts
This is really cool, Sam! I've forwarded it to friends and family. Thanks for giving up your night's sleep to do this for us.

The Other Sam

·
3,641 Posts
Can your wife do a time lapse vid of you cleaning it up? ;)

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts