Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been driving the new car for about a week now, and I've noticed that on the freeway it's sometimes tough for me to keep the speedometer 'in the green' while maintaining 60mph+. I don't think my drive is particularly "up hill" or anything, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm using cruise control or not. Is it just a factor of the cold winter winds or is there something else I can do to 'stay green'?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I've been driving the new car for about a week now, and I've noticed that on the freeway it's sometimes tough for me to keep the speedometer 'in the green' while maintaining 60mph+. I don't think my drive is particularly "up hill" or anything, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm using cruise control or not. Is it just a factor of the cold winter winds or is there something else I can do to 'stay green'?
I'm sure there are people here who know more than me, but I'm pretty sure that it's just the fact that freeway speeds are not particularly fuel efficient.

I have the same problem. I get significantly higher MPG when I'm traveling at sub-freeway speeds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what's confusing to me though... if 60 or 65 mph was just "inefficient speed" I'd expect it to be blue on the freeway all of the time, but since it's just "sometimes" that I notice this, I'm wondering if there's something about my driving style I could change in these situations to keep from wasting gas.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Its just an indicator. It drove me crazy too. You can put it in sport mode, however you will see a drop in fuel economy.

There are techniques like drafting or slowing down on grades up shill, speed up going down hills.

Myself, I set cruse to 56 and let it go. if I am up to it I draft and use the blue/green indicator as a way to tell if I am in or leaving the draft.

Unless you roads are perfectly level and no wind resistance it will change colors like that.

If its annoying, you can turn that feature off in the mid.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You may also check the power distribution page on the MID and the Assist gauge on the dash to see if it is charging at those times. I have noticed a big difference in MPG between 55 and 65mph. Once you start getting into the 60 to 65MPH range the wind resistance will make an increasing difference in the amount of work the engine has to do to maintain those speeds.

I just bought a ScanGaugeII and have it installed for daily driving information not provided by the existing gauges. One of the added gauges is engine load. Once the roads clear I would like to see what the relationship between speed to engine load is. The cold has killed my MPG. I can be at work in 6 minutes so the engine is not even up to temp by the time I get there. Taking the same route, starting cold I get 28.7mpg, driving the same route with a warm engine I get 41MPG! Needless to say I've been taking the long route to work and go for more extended drives on the weekends just to get everything completely up to temp. Temp gauges are also something the ScanGaugeII has for both water and air-intake.

I only use the speedometer color as a guide. I drive how I need to drive for the conditions. I figure no matter what I do I'm using about a THIRD of the gas my last car used (at best) so I'm not stressing out about seeing a blue speedometer from time to time :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
How do you do that? I know I should RTFM but...no time
How?
From Pages 91 and 92 of the Owner's Manual

You can customize some vehicle
control settings. To enter the
customizing mode, press and hold
either INFO button ( / ) for more
than 3 seconds. To change the
settings, the ignition switch must be
in the ON (II) position, and the
vehicle must be stopped with the
transmission in Park.

If you turn the ignition switch to the
ACCESSORY (I) or the LOCK (0)
position, or move the shift lever out
of Park, the display will change to
the normal screen.
If you try to enter the customizing
mode while the vehicle is moving,
you will see a ‘‘MUST STOP AND
SHIFT TO PARK TO CHANGE
SETTINGS’’ message and you
cannot change the settings.

If you want to change any vehicle
control settings, select CHG
SETTING, then press the SEL/
RESET button.

Under METER SETUP page:
METER COLOR CHANGE - Turn the ambient meter feature on or off.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I noticed the same thing when I first took it out on the highway. The cold, wind, drafting (to reduce wind effect), terrain, speed steadyness, and cruising speed are all driving style factors.

First thing I'd do though is check tire pressures (when tire is cold ..first thing in the morning before driving the car) and then re-check'um every month. The manual recommends 33 psi all around. At 35.5 psi all around I noticed a boundry between a soft and a firm ride especially over bumps. I'm currently at 38 psi and more tolorant of a firm ride. Many who get top mpg are at 40. Some go all the way to the tire design maximum of 44.

I'm up to 7.2k on my I2, and have experience with my wife's '06 I1. I've found that the mpg improvement over EPA testing is about half attributed to driving style, and about half to tire pressure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you are on the highway sometimes there is nothing you can do.
If you are in the green and you see a small incline coming up.. if you try to stay at 55mph for example.. you cannot stay in the green up that small incline/hill unless you lift up off the gas.. therefore you will lose speed.
You will either have to speed up first before the hill and then loese speed up it.. or just go blue until you reach the top of the hill.. Once you are at the top of the hill.. you can slowly gain speed back down the incline without much push on the gas and then you can get your mpg back to normal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts