Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this last weekend I put a bluetooth system in the car (Parrot 3100). I put the noise reducing microphone in the headliner and the phone output comes over the stereo speakers. In the past I often missed calls because I had the stereo too loud to hear the phone. Now the phone rings over the stereo, I can clearly hear the caller even with the window down, and they just hear my voice (no road noise or wind). Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I've been thinking about this to go with my Treo 650. How hard was it, Rick? Are you happy with the results? Plus, how is it wired to the radio? I just hate to drive holding my phone to my ear... :roll:

·
Registered
70 Posts
lol - I knew I wasn't going to get away with that question without a Google response... :D

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Parrot 3100 was around 180 and you should also order a Honda to ISO connection plug to make the install simple. If you are using the Honda radio there is one that even converts back to the radio connection (4 total plugs) and all you do is plug in the parrot into two of the connections and the radio and car into the other two. I have a link to the instruction files at home (I can post this weekend if desired) but it really depends on your sterreo setup as to the details of the install. (factory or aftermarket, external amp or not, etc). The basics are as follows
- Put microphone where you want it. I mounted mine in the headliner.
- Put together stereo connections. (Mine was harder as it uses aftermarket equipment and an external amp but it wasn't too bad. I pluged in a converter for the Honda to ISO connections. Connected the Parrot power ISO connection (taps acc, 12v, and ground, illumination etc). Connected the mute signal (this kills the stereo for inbound and outbound calls. The parrot then subs in the ring tone/phone conversation over the speakers). Lastly I used a line input into the amp due to the external amplifier but if you don't use a external amp then you just plug in the parrot ISO speaker harness into both the car and radio and it intercepts the signal. Don't know if you followed any of that but this is the hardest step.
- Lastly mount the caller ID pad and plug it in.

When you start the car it automatically powers up and makes the connection with the phone. When a call comes in the stereo automatically mutes and the ring comes over the speakers. You look at the display and see who is calling and push the green answer button (It also has voice command capability for answering and making calls but I havn't tried that yet.) The noise reduction mike picks up your voice and the callers voice is played over the stereo system. When you or the caller hang up the stereo selection returns. Perhaps its my hearing but its great to be able to clearly hear the caller even in a noisy car with the window down.
Have fun, Rick

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Rick, thanks for the information.

I installed my Parrot a couple of weeks ago, and I really like it, I've had other hands free phone devices on my other vehicles, but this on is the best, It will connect with your phone automatically, and the voice recognition is a really nice feature.

If you are on the phone having a conversation while walking to the car, and when you turn the ignition key on, in about 30 seconds it will automatically sends the call to the Parrot.

Great product.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just spoke with Dwayne at installer.com. He reports that Parrot has an adapter kit pn BT1721A that is plug and play with Honda radios. He said that he has ordered this kit and should get some within a month or so. He said he would put a picture on his site when they come in.

http://www.installer.com/parrot/

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just installed the new 3400 LS GPS two weeks ago, and even though everyone i talked to said "you don't need an ISO adapter with these new kits" was full of s***. I ordered the 3400 and it arrived without any way to connect to a honda radio harness. Anyway - i was too excited to order an ISO connector so i went ahead and wired it up myself. If you understand car radios and have an aftermarket receiver installed, its really easy. you just have to cut the harness in half basically, and wire the parrot in between your stereo and your speakers. The 3400 is awesome by the way - full color screen, phone book sync with photos, fantastic voice dialing(way better than any phone) and GPS navigation on my treo.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The BT1721A kits came in at installer.com, and I can report that they are in fact completely plug and play. Once I got the dash taken apart and the radio out I unplugged the head unit and plugged in the Parrot harness. I started it up, and the display immediately came alive. It took a minute to pair up the phone, and I was in business! The hardest part of the whole install was hiding all the cables. The Parrot harness basically fills the area on top of and behind the radio. I already had a Blitzsafe adapter for my iPod back there, so it took some cramming and jamming to get it all secured.

I mounted the display in front of the stock head unit cassette port. I don't have any tapes and haven't since I got the car, so no loss. All the controls of the head unit are still accessible; the Parrot sits about 1" forward of the head unit. The Parrot comes with several mounting adapters, so there are ample choices if this spot doesn't work for you. The mic is aft of the rear view mirror with the cable above the headliner, down the A-pillar, along the door threshold, and under the carpet to the Parrot box under the pax seat. The other cables run along the transmission tunnel. The sound quality is excellent. I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Here is a picture of the LCD screen. The cable bundle to the left runs to a GPS.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rmnelson2/Parrot.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts