Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read about this in the weekend newspaper.

BMW i8 Hybrid

Ice drives the front wheels, pack drives the rears. Interesting.

Nice power, not so nice price.

I can imagine test driving it like Willie would suggest. :D

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It is a 3 cylinder hybrid two seater car for $ 130.000 ?

If it were only possible to have all that and keep a ton in the bank... :cool:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Ice drives the front wheels, pack drives the rears.
You got that backward. The ICE is just forward of the rear wheels which it drives. One electric motor is just aft of the front wheels which it drives. A second small electric motor is the ICE starter motor and also provides a bit of drive power to the rear wheels while the ICE turbo is spooling up.

It's interesting that the same 3-cylinder, 1.5-liter engine will power new Minis although in various lower output configurations. Fewer cylinders means less frictional losses and better fuel efficiency. As we know, our Insights were ahead of their time.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yeah, not too many bmw fans here. I know they make nice cars, but the owners I meet and share the road with are real arse logs. Id say Lexus IS owners arent far behind them. :cool:

They made wonderful shaft driven motorcycles, but you seldom hear much about those. Im sure they could make one hell of a 3 wheelier like the can-am style.

·
3,641 Posts
I like it! Not meant as a replacement for the G1, or a 3 Series, rather it is a competition for Porsche etc. Fresh looking car, awesome performance, great lines, interesting rear design, new technology, AWD....what's not to like? :)

And, despite the price, it is at least a step in the right direction: great alternative to a V12.

BMW is committed to their new i-range of electrified cars, (kind of like M-range for their traditional performance cars). And I think we will see great benefits in the trickle down technology.

(OT, but 'you started it': I see plenty A-hole drivers in Nissans, Fords, and Hondas...I don't think a BMW sales manager would refuse a potential sale based on "oh, sorry sir, you are too nice of a guy to own one of our cars". It's ridiculous to stereotype people based on the choice of their cars. But, I concede, you will probably never see a BMW i-8 with the "shocker" sticker on the back window.)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Oh really? Ill keep that in mind. Usually I see 2 bmw drivers. The doctors both md and phd who zip around Richmond to class or work, then there is the riced out bmw with the wing, 22 inch wheels, black windows, loud rap music and coffee can exhaust that does the same. Zips through traffic, crosses 3 lanes at a time with no turn signals to take an exit to VCU, MCV, VUU, etc, etc, etc.

I see plenty A-hole drivers in Nissans, Fords, and Hondas...

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

·
3,641 Posts
LOL. Again, I gotta hand it to you for backing up your posts with facts, references, and now, even a study. :)

I humbly stand corrected.... :)

PS: I have owned TWO BLUE E30s in the past. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you can blatently waste money on a $130k car, fuel MPG is of no concern.

OOps forgot to say, the car is beautiful, just such an engineering waste of time, why not invest all that engineering into making a car that most can afford.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
OOps forgot to say, the car is beautiful, just such an engineering waste of time, why not invest all that engineering into making a car that most can afford.
It's common to build a car with new features that required a lot of expensive engineering. Our Insight is an example of this that many believe Honda sold at far below its cost. Honda used the Insight to improve its IMA system that was installed in other cars.

BMW has done something similar except that the i8 is not being sold at a loss. BMW will use the expensive engineering to build other advanced cars. For example, less powerful versions of its 3-cylinder ICE is already being used in Minis. I'm sure we'll see its aluminum and carbon-fiber reinforced plastic chassis and the electric motor and battery pack technology incorporated in less expensive BMW's to increase their fuel efficiency to meet government standards.

So the engineering in the i8 is certainly not an engineering waste of time.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
+1. I consider this the equivalent to someone making a sexiest or racist comment and following it up with LOL. BMW is the worse offender making eco vehicles and charging an eight-th to a quarter of a million dollars for one. Next up is VW with their little fuel miser they keep advertising.

If you can blatently waste money on a $130k car, fuel MPG is of no concern.

·
Super Moderator
6,878 Posts
Daughter and I were associated with BMW types for a long time. We actually achieved instructor status at their track days. It is my observation that the study is correct to a considerable degree, and it seems to get worse with the newer, high cost, high bling cars. Wife and I owned two E30s and that was their best car IMO. Not a lot of gadgets and bling - just spectacular handling, great torque, wonderful acceleration and speed, and adequate room for 4. Great car and a better class of owners in those days.

My daughter still works for the company, but she gets disgusted with the current crop of owners. We raced the old 2002s in the mid 80s and 90s, but it was all about speed, not status. Did a lot of dyno development. I had some genuine success, winning two SCCA regional championships.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't think it is a waste from BMWs point of view, it is the buyer that's is out of touch with reality. Not worth saving a buck or two of gas a day when you spend 100k+ on a car. There are much better normal cars for a lot less is all.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Just puzzling how other auto manufactures can make affordable cars that get good mpg with new technology. Its not like the prius was 300 grand when it came out, then came down like most of our electronics.

I don't think it is a waste from BMWs point of view, it is the buyer that's is out of touch with reality. Not worth saving a buck or two of gas a day when you spend 100k+ on a car. There are much better normal cars for a lot less is all.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good point Cobb. Paying for the name & alleged prestige? And the mpg isn't all that good.

In contrast, the non-hybrid, ordinary mpg Pontiac Solstice is (in my old guy opinion) a sharp / sporty looking car. Sold for in the $20k's.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The first gen Prius did not have spectacular fuel economy. Not bad, but not much better than the Echo of the day.

Nor did it look very appealing. BMW wisely made their car look better than the first gen Prius.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Just puzzling how other auto manufactures can make affordable cars that get good mpg with new technology.
It's easier to introduce new technologies with few compromises in a high-end car (e.g., Tesla). The i8 uses expensive, lightweight materials throughout the chassis and body (aluminum and carbon-fiber reinforced plastic). The i8 is a high-efficiency, high-performance car competing with the likes of the Porsche 911 and Audi R8, not your typical low-performance hybrid. Its all-new lightweight turbocharged 3-cylinder 1.5 liter ICE produces 220 hp which I think is the highest hp/l of any BMW engine. This ICE was obviously designed as a high-performance engine rather than for maximum fuel efficiency.

So comparing the i8 with more conventional hybrids is like comparing apples with oranges. It's a supercar with a supercar price.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts