Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 2001 CVT (46K miles) seems to be a lot creakier than it used to be. You can hear all kinds of creaks from the frame when going around curves (I live in a canyon) or when going over uneven bumps in the road... I don't remember this being an issue before, but then again, when I lived back east, I didn't drive on such curvy roads as much.

I asked my dealer to look under the car to see if they found anything loose or amiss, and they found nothing (not sure if they even bothered to take off the covers under the car to check!). They also test-drove the car for me and claimed to not hear anything other than a rattle coming from the passenger-side of the dash, which they said would require removing the dash to find and fix. It's not a rattle that I'm concerned with, though; it's the creakiness. Is it the rear struts maybe? When I got my tires replaced recently, the shop told me my rear struts were leaking a bit -- could they be blown with only 46K miles on them?? :shock:

If this has been covered in another thread, please feel free to point me to the thread and/or search terms I can use to find it... I'm not sure what to search for!

Thanks so much for any help you can provide... this forum is ever-so-helpful, and polite... best place on the web! :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks downloader... I will give that a try.

BTW, it took me two days to "get" your first response... damn, I'm slow sometimes... :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have one coming from the rear inside the car. It is on the passanger side near the hatch. I think it's the strut, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
my creaks are centered around the center console (2004 @~24k). i can usually shut them up for 0.5 - 60 miles by leveraging against my right leg and pushing up on the underside of the stereo area. i find the sound very annoying (i'm the type of person who will go absolutely bonkers if there's a plastic bag in the bag crinkling due to wind).

·
Registered
33 Posts
jrrs said:
my creaks are centered around the center console (2004 @~24k). i can usually shut them up for 0.5 - 60 miles by leveraging against my right leg and pushing up on the underside of the stereo area.
I had a squeak/creak around the stereo also. I removed the glove box to get a look behind the center console. I discovered the stereo was pivoting up and down in the brackets. I was able to replicate the squeak by moving the back of the stereo up and down just ever so slightly. A bit of folded shop rag wedged in the space beneath the stereo took care of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
gomarlins3 said:
I have one coming from the rear inside the car. It is on the passanger side near the hatch. I think it's the strut, but I am not sure.
My struts seem to be going as well. They are covered under HondaCare so I will be going to the Dealer soon to have it checked out. The noise is the least of my problems compared to the bumpy ride and sloppy cornering compared to my Dad's Insight.

·
Registered
366 Posts
JustinFons said:
gomarlins3 said:
My struts seem to be going as well. They are covered under HondaCare so I will be going to the Dealer soon to have it checked out. The noise is the least of my problems compared to the bumpy ride and sloppy cornering compared to my Dad's Insight.
I ment the struts that hold the hatch up when it's open, not the ones in the suspension.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts