Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else had one of the panels underneath the car come off in the snow? For me, it was one of the bigger ones under the passenger side. The front edge ripped off of the bolt holding it and then popped one of the plastic fasteners. While I can wedge it back in place with a washer I fabricated, it comes loose again easily (every time I hit a large puddle or a snowbank). It then cules down the front end, making this annoying scraping sound on the road.

So I decided to get it fixed. It took the parts guy at the local Honda dealership a whole day to identify the correct part. He then quoted $127.73. That hurts, but not as bad as I expected. I think about 1/2 to 1 hour labor to put it on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
same thing happened to me this winter. I have not put mine back on yet. I am going to do it my self. I found new ones for about $53 online. I need both large ones under the driver and passenger side. As far as reinstalling them, it is easy, a few bolts, and the reset are compression fasteners.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts

Hi, just an idea.

I did not get that (yet maybe) and I get a lot of snow. Maybe going into a ditch could break the plastic.

But I thought that if it would happen to me, I would just glue the parts together (using a solder iron, melt both parts togerther while adding plastic from an other similar plastic source, I already did this on a plastic wheel well in an other car)
and then add a 4 inch aluminium stripe on the front edge of the palstic cover. Something 1/16 inch thick.
If possible to bend it in a 'Z' shape (hard to explain without a drawing) to make a protector like the alu plate protecting a tranfercase on a 4x4. Using the existing bolts to screw it on.

Yves.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Panels

When my car was new I was in the center lane following a SUV. It ran over a semi tire tread and I had nowhere to go (Traffic each side). I tried to hit the tire with the wheel but it still managed to rip off one of the underbody panels. (Drafting can be dangerous) Have fun, Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts