Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just got back from the SEMA show in Las Vegas a few days ago and saw many interesting things. This I think will interest everyone though. It's a drop in hybrid preformance modification that can be adapted to any vehicle.
http://www.semashowphotos.com/photos/C_00363.JPG
It's a large picture so you may want to start loading it. Anyways, they make kits to drop in to several Hondas and a Ford Focus already it looks like. They are saying 350 amps at 48 volts from an ultara capacitor and it replaces the alternator so I'm guessing there is a DC/DC built in to the box somewhere. If that is correct your looking at about a 17KW electric boost which is more than the Insight does. Current price is set at $3500 for the kit. There is more on their web site at:
http://www.alphamaleperformance.com/pages/1/index.htm

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,874 Posts
Hmmmmmm...... Let me see, remove the AC pump, install the "alt." in it's place. In conjunction with the, standard IMA, ICE, and turbocharger what kind of horsepower would the LITTLE RED ROCKET have?.... VERY INTERESTING.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Interesting idea, but IMO $3500 is spendy as a bolt-on addition compared to what you get for "going hybrid" on a new Civic. This doesn't appear to have regen-braking, fuel-cut mode, or idle-stop.

I do like Willie's idea of bolting that onto a car that is already a hybrid.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do it Willie.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
That's funny....This has been discussed on the EV lists for sometime, and the basic idea is that retrofitting an existing engine is pointless. The savings in mileage would be tiny, power transfer through the belt is problematic, etc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
fuel cut mode

All Hondas have fuel-cut 'mode', going back to when Honda started using a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) with their cars that have electronic fuel injection. This goes all the way back to the late '80's. Thus the Insight is not special in regard to this old technological concept.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Realistically

I took a look at this thing.... charging 3500 is not realistic.... its overpriced... and the only applications according to them are civics... integra and one yank.. car.... I'd like to see some dyno numbers with and without they are claiming 100 extra torque... well heck who need a turbo then? Just install two of these and your laughing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts