Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this 2005 CVT for a parts car originally. This car a couple days ago the driver fell asleep and ran into a ditch. After tearing into it, looks like I'll just need at a minimum the radiator, condenser, brackets that support it top and bottom, hoses and bumper. It's got 260k miles on it but apparently ran good going into it. I paid 600 bucks for it but has New Re92's put on last month. It has a bumble bee battery with a year left on the warranty (beeline and owner paid for an extra year warranty). Pretty clean inside and out minus the damage from going into the ditch. Has some barb wire scratches on the hood, pillar and right fender. Not a big deal at the moment. What do you guys think?? I'll probably make it a runner again unless there a good census and reason not to. The only thing I didn't get to check out yet was the lower bracket that's bent in. It looked like it's welded to the frame tube extension(not sure the name). But looks like those bolt on as well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,541 Posts
Take a good look at the oil pan and area where the oil filter and A/C compressor mount.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
It does look recoverable with just a little effort. You need someone with a silver car to donate or sell you the radiator frame, and probably the A/C condenser and the radiator - assuming it passes klr3cyl tests. Make sure the radiator frame comes with extra metal on the "ears" so that you have length to work with.

Still at 260,000, is it worth the effort? I think my final determination would be whether the CVT and flywheel have been replaced. If not, then there is some risk that you do a lot of work and have it fail before 300,000.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does look recoverable with just a little effort. You need someone with a silver car to donate or sell you the radiator frame, and probably the A/C condenser and the radiator - assuming it passes klr3cyl tests. Make sure the radiator frame comes with extra metal on the "ears" so that you have length to work with.

Still at 260,000, is it worth the effort? I think my final determination would be whether the CVT and flywheel have been replaced. If not, then there is some risk that you do a lot of work and have it fail before 300,000.
Thanks for the response. I don't think this owner did anything to the CVT or flywheel. He bought it with 200k miles on it. It doesn't appear to be much work granted I haven't pulled off the lower bent bracket with frame legs yet. And haven't looks a great amount at what Scott was saying. I have another 2003 with 108k miles on it and I just pulled the CVT out of it. I believe the start clutch is gone on it. I don't know the any of the history behind it and definitely don't know if the CVT or flywheel were ever replaced.

Since I'm still new to these cars and with the vast amount of knowledge you guys have. You're saying you believe most CVTs don't make it past 300k. Is flywheel the most common issue? After that start clutch then belt? Any other CVT issues you've seen that's common for them not to make it past 300k?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Thanks for the response. I don't think this owner did anything to the CVT or flywheel. He bought it with 200k miles on it. It doesn't appear to be much work granted I haven't pulled off the lower bent bracket with frame legs yet. And haven't looks a great amount at what Scott was saying. I have another 2003 with 108k miles on it and I just pulled the CVT out of it. I believe the start clutch is gone on it. I don't know the any of the history behind it and definitely don't know if the CVT or flywheel were ever replaced.

Since I'm still new to these cars and with the vast amount of knowledge you guys have. You're saying you believe most CVTs don't make it past 300k. Is flywheel the most common issue? After that start clutch then belt? Any other CVT issues you've seen that's common for them not to make it past 300k?
I personally am wary of CVTs with more than 150k on them. Manuals often develop a gear grind past ~200k but can last virtually forever if driven carefully and double-clutched. Flywheel is the most common issue with CVTs but there are a few other things which can fail too such as clutch and belt, yes.

If you plan to part it out, a clean set of wheels will often go for $75-100 per wheel, and you said it has good tires. That covers what you paid for it alone. I bet you could fix it but again I'm leery of CVTs.

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
You're saying you believe most CVTs don't make it past 300k.
No, not quite. I just saying that if it was still running at 260,000 then it still has a little life in it. It is like talking to an insurance actuary. If a person is still alive at 94, then the actuary will give them another couple of years;)

I think most CVTs fail long before 300k, from what I've been reading, but there are no actual statistics. There are no certainties with this car, but the prospects aren't particularly bright. Like someone else said, a nice set of wheels and nearly new tires could almost repay what you have in it.

·
Premium Member
9,855 Posts
bvad8486:
Could you please re-post the pic so I don't have to "Inspect the pizza levels" to view.
I bet you used a "phone" to take the pics.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
pic

I'll try reposting the pictures straight up......well that didn't work. They show right side up on my computer and everything else I drag them into. I went to a couple junkyards today. Got everything I needed to fix it. So I'll give it a shot. Just waiting on the radiator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts