Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Bought an insight last week, from an Ohio Toyota dealership. Going to fly in and drive it home to Arizona. The first or second week of March. Anything I should know, or do before the trip. The car is a 2005 cvt with 7000 miles on it. Hopefully the snow will be cleaned up before. I do not think it has snow tires on it now. I really don't need them here. It was 82 yesterday. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Rick

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
If it is the CVT there is really not much to learn there. Use the D position for better mileage.

Note: The dealer WILL inflate the tires too low for good mileage.

I don't expect you will have any trouble, but you might feel more relaxed if you can find an owner nearby that can let you try one out. The electric steering combined with the LRR tires and zero toe in/toe out on the tires will feel a little strange at first.

This summer vacation I drove as much as 750 miles per day. I used a one inch thick foam pad behind my back for lumbar support, and stopped occasionally to walk around, take a few photos, eat, etc. thus preventing numb-bumb setting in. :D

If the speakers are stock I'm afraid you won't get much comfort from music. There are lots of suggestions here on IC for alternatives. ;)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. There shouldn't be anything different from a normal car to worry about for your trip back. One thing I'd do is check the tire pressure on all 5 before you leave. The spare is in the back under the hidden cargo trunk liner. People tend to not fill these and they don't hold air for more than a couple of months. You also might want to pull the dipstick and make sure the oil looks to be in good shape. Insight's serviced by dealerships are commonly overfilled with oil, which is not good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[mod edit: Full quoting in immeditate reply is redundant. Please see rule #12]

Rick
Hows the A/C work here in the summer? Wife will be driving daily 2 miles one way. Any problem at 75 mph on I-8 to PHX.(the speed limit for you east coasters ;) ) Think I should change oil before leaving or check and go. I have 5 other vehicles. I know over the years the smell/look of old oil.
THanks Rick

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Using synthetic oil is a good idea in any vehicle. Unless stated the oil in the car is probably dino oil. Stripping the oil pan by over tightening/cross threading is a know issue on the Insight. The plug is obscured by a thin black plastic aerodynamic cover. Leaking oil will accumulate on this cover in a dirty sludge. Over a period of a year or so the oil will case the plastic to distort and rub on the bottom of the oil pan. If you have the oil changed by the dealer before taking an extended trip, make sure he is aware of this potential problem. If they mess up the job it is a long way back to complain. ;) A visual inspection of this plate/plug on a hoist at the dealer before making the trip would be one of the few things I would do if I was purchasing the car myself. While you are at it you can check for missing fasteners or dammaged covers. Running a dry rag between the oil pan and the cover would suffice to determine any seepage. I would also look around to see if the car has been jacked improperly. There are reinfoced points under the body for this purpose. The small owners manual shows their position, but they should be obvious if you have the car on a hoist. That's all I can think of for now. :D

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I'd just take a look at it. The color of the oil won't really tell it's age, but if it looks ok then you should be ok to go. If the maintenance light is on solid though it means two things. One being the oil is due for a change, or the second is they just didn't reset the light at the last service. If the crank case is overfilled then it might not hurt to get it changed before you go. The car takes exactly 2.6 quarts for an oil and filter change. Unless it's obviously in need of a change I'd just go for it.

As far as the AC it works good. If you leave on full auto (I'm assuming your wife will) it will keep you cool, but it does dog the car down pretty badly. In the summer I was literally raising my shift points a good 1,000 - 1,500 rpm higher than during the rest of the year. If you allow the car to auto stop you will loose the AC compressor while stopped, in the middle of July this is not fun so depending on whether you value comfort of fuel economy more determines your particular use of the AC. My Civic hybrid I'm driving now I have to say feels was less bogged down by the AC. It's probably just the CVT transmission because I notice the engine revs are a big higher with the AC going, plus it has the dual scroll compressor so it can maintain some cooling with the engine off, although it takes a good 15 minutes of driving before the car is sufficiently cooled down to get to this point in the middle of the summer.

Regardless my lifetime mpg ended up being ~64mpg when I sold the car. In the summer it was 55mpg and I made the difference up in the spring fall and winter. The worst I was ever able to do though was a 45mpg tank where I was doing a lot of city driving with the air in full auto.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I wouldn't expect a very good mpg with a 2 mile commute @75mph with the A/C on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scott said:
I wouldn't expect a very good mpg with a 2 mile commute @75mph with the A/C on.
Sorry Scott for the misunderstanding. However this should clear it up. Rick in Glendale AZ understood.... 1.Wife drives 2 miles to her office 25 and 35mph. Problem?...2. Yuma to PHX 230miles at 75mph. Will it do it? 3rd, July weather in Yuma sometimes 116 degrees. How does the AC hold up.
Thanks for any further input in advance
Rick

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
1. Not a problem.

2. The Insight can cruise at 75 MPH indefinately.

3. I was cruising through Minnesota this summer when they had the record breaking heat wave. I was only using AC about 30 percent. I'd turn it on full until I was freezing then turn it off till I started to get uncomfortable. It felt rather like tanning on a dock then jumping into a lake. The variation helped keep me awake on the 11+ hour legs of the trip.

Almost two years ago I added some extra black closed cell foam rubber insulation on the aluminum piping in the engine compartment, which I purchased from an air conditioning parts wholesaler for about 12 dollars. I held the seam together with genuine solid aluminum duct sealing tape. It has held up nicely. (The mod has been discussed here at IC.)

I was able to maqintain 74 MPG at 65+ MPH with pulsed AC. At 75 with AC continuous, MPG will tumble. Ah well.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Your commute/trip makes more sense now. The 2 mile commute is still going to kill your LMPG. You will do much better on the 230 mile freeway run, however 75mph with A/C is going to reduce your mpg significantly as opposed to a lower speed (60-65mph) without using A/C. But with 116 degree temps I'm sure I would also have my A/C on and just have to accept the MPG reduction. You can try cycling the A/C as mentioned above or keep the A/C temp as high as you can remain comfortable to help minimize your mpg loss.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. What's the worst mpg the car has gotten on a tank of fuel?

This still has to be better than anything in my the garage now.
Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts