Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the check engine light come on twice over the last month. Each time the day after getting gas. Then it went out (each time) after a couple trips.

So I suspected the gas cap was not sealing that well. I noticed the rubber parts seemed not as stiff as before and the clicks were quieter. After 150,000 miles at (say) 500 miles between fillups that works out to be about 300 off/on cycles of the cap.

So I bought a new cap and it seems much better. Rubber is stiffer and clicks louder. Cost about $8 at
the local dealer. What I didn't realize is that there are two types of cap. The parts guy looked up my vin so I would get the right one. Apparently the other cap is a lot more expensive, like $20. So that was OK by me.

Anyway seems pretty cheap insurance against future problems.

Jim
'01 #191

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My Big *** Van (Dodge Ram Wagon conversion) did NOT pass emmissions inspection two days ago!

Relevant because I had switched gas caps with the Insight almost four years ago... so I could have a tethered gas cap on the Insight (and absolutely NO problems since then). Inspection guy said seals on gas caps wear out after a few years (!), they are now considered a consumable, like windshield wiper blades and starter batteries (!) (!) . So, the Honda Insight gas cap seal was compromised, even though I use the BAV seldom, and I only fill it a few times a year (with 32+ gallons, I can easily go 450-500 miles per trip, and I only put <3,000 miles a year on it). The seal didn't wear out from frequent use, just from... age. :shock:

I'm out this afternoon, I'll swing by the auto parts store and get another cap for the Insight, just in case... thanks for the heads-up!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts