Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, Insightful folks.

Had mine for about 2 weeks now and am still way on the learning curve.
But I have a bit of info for any other owners who bought (or have) a 2000 - 2001 which are due 2 recalls: the minor issue of the handbrake lever button and the not so minor surprise issue of the low beams failing while driving. :shock:
The servicing dealer, if they follow the full proceedure, will stamp a little punch mark over the engine VIN. For the combination switch they should have punched a mark over the 12th character of the VIN. For the handbrake it should be over the 10th.
Sorry if this is a retread thread, but there may be other used buyers of these lurking around the forum who may need to know.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thanks Wayne. I just looked at mine (which I know had the handbrake and ECM recall performed) and I have a punchmark over the 8th and 10th digits.

So it would appear that:

ECM recall = punch above 8th digit
Handbrake recall = punch over 10th digit
Headlight switch recall = punch over 12th digit

When I bought my car I already knew about handbrake and ECM recall, but I wasn't aware of the headlight switch recall. Guess I'd better bring that up next time I'm there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, lites out is a bummer!

The connector for the multi-switch for the headlights and such seems to be the prob. The red / white wire low beam circuit gets hot enough to melt the connector which then falls apart or maybe blows the low beam fuse? Dealer said hi beams may still work.
So, if you suddenlly 'go blind' some night, use the hi beams (or pack a couple flashlights and duct tape!! :lol: )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts