Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I recently acquired a boyfriend, and it's getting sort of serious. But--he wants to drive my baby!!!

Anyone have tips for how to:

A. graciously suggest "I'm not ready to share yet"

B. how to let go of the fear that someone other than me will do something to the car.

BTW, it's a CVT, so he can't do to much to it. In theory. But you know the mileage will suffer.....
(insert finger-nail gnawing smiley here)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Tell him he has to take an advanced collision avoidance course before you will be comfortable letting him try your car.
That way you will both benefit.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Whenever any of my girlfriends have asked to drive any of my cars, the usual response they get is "It will be a cold day in hell when someone else drives my cars.". It's generally very effective...Also, there's the standard "When you pry the keys out of my cold dead fingers".

:)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
Whenever any of my girlfriends have asked to drive any of my cars, the usual response they get is "It will be a cold day in hell when someone else drives my cars.". It's generally very effective...Also, there's the standard "When you pry the keys out of my cold dead fingers".

:)
Nice! Actually my friend and I have let each other drive each other's cars (my '02 MINI Cooper S and his '89 mr2). The difference is that we both know that the other knows how to drive. He hasn't had his chance at the Insight yet...

If it's a cvt, then he really can't do anything wrong. My main concern would be the clutch and that's why most of us are very pesky about letting others drive our cars.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Aaron Cake.... just a question for you before I adress Bug girls original question.

Did the women that you so kindly declinded to let them drive spend any more time with you after you said that to them?

Bug Girl:

Its a CVT... so he cant reck your clutch or grind your gears. Its not like the car is super fast or tempermental. So if you have seen him drive and he can handle it, why not let him take it for a spin? You can go with him !

dont see the problem, unless he is a crapy driver!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe there was a quote from a movie that went something like..."don't want any homos touching my stuff." :D

·
Registered
804 Posts
...when I was on a one-lane exit off the freeway, some redneck in his big pickup blasted by me. I wanted to yell the above quote. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
JustinGray said:
Aaron Cake.... just a question for you before I adress Bug girls original question.
Did the women that you so kindly declinded to let them drive spend any more time with you after you said that to them?
That's one of my standard girlfriend tests. If their response is understanding, then they're a keeper. Otherwise, no big loss. :)

Seriously, I generally explain to those wanting to drive any of my cars that it is simply not an option. Most people give up when they hear the Insight/RX-7 is standard...

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Bug Girl,

I'd let him drive your car with you first as the driver explaining all about your baby and its FCD, LMPG,driving techniques, etc. Then let him drive it and see how he treats your baby. Being a CVT he can't do too much harm. I find when my husband does drive my car, I'm usually checking the FCD and his speed, shifting,braking, etc---making sure he's doing it right. He prefers his New Beetle because he said my car is "too involved and too much work". However, when he has driven it, his mpg has been close to mine---novice though he is! At first, he said he was not interested at all in this Insight stuff but slowly he too has been sucked into it all :) !!

Murasaki

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm only 2 tenths of a mpg out of the top spot in the HCH mpg database (wait till summer :twisted: ). No body drives like I do so I can't stand it when other people want to drive my baby. I've let a couple people do it in the past with me in the passenger seat and the whole time I'm thinking "coast" or "upshift". I really don't expect em to be turning the car completely off like I do.

You are in a different position. You car is an automatic with fewer tricks to pull so if you trust the guy it should be as big of a deal to let him drive. If however you are one of those women with bad taste in men and the guy is like "in a band" and needs the car to haul his Marshall stack and Zildjian's around in, run!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Actually if you just make up some long speach just rambling on about how them driving the car will negatively effect every aspect of it, eventually they will not want to hear any more of it and just give up.

I've found the worst part about letting someone else drive my Insight is they're far too accustomed to pushing in the clutch when coasting.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Can I drive your RX-7?
Justin, You can drive mine. '84 GSLSE in pretty good shape. 70,000 on rebuilt engine and a lot of new stuff. In fact, you can buy it cheap!

Bug Girl, I let my girlfriend drive mine after I was showing her how I drove it and didn't mind too much. She did a pretty good job. I'm not too concerned about lmpg because I bought my car used. She says she doesn't like to drive it much because I'm too picky about it.

Robert

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He's not in a band.......anymore. :D

I don't know why it bothers me, it just is hard to let anyone else touch my toy. I have issues!

I think after I've owned the car for a full year, it might be easier to let go.

Unfortunately, I'm not hearing much rationalization for my point of view here.
:evil:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Bug Girl,
You didn't say he had been in a band! Since it is just recently, I would wait a bit and see where it goes, and how bad he wants to drive it.
If he plays the Cello, it would probably be ok. If he is a drummer, let him buy his own.
I'd just tell him that you haven't had the car that long and you are trying to improve the overall mileage which has taken a lot of practice. He'll either understand, get ticked off, or give up on it for a while. Just remember it's your car and you don't have to let anyone drive it!
Good luck.robert

·
Registered
161 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not hearing much rationalization for my point of view here.
You are absolutely entitled to your point of veiw. I've got a Vette that I let almost no one drive. It was so pretty I didn't even want to drive it myself when it was new. You will likely chill out with time but it is completely normal to be a little funny about a new car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You think you got it bad.... the guy I drive with to work every day wants to borrow my insight for his road test. This guy just passed his written exam and only has a leaner's permit.

Although it would be kind of funny to see the examiner's face when the engine suddenly shuts off at a stoplight... and this car could be a *lot* worse when it comes to parallel parking...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Kevin said:
You think you got it bad.... the guy I drive with to work every day wants to borrow my insight for his road test. This guy just passed his written exam and only has a leaner's permit.

Although it would be kind of funny to see the examiner's face when the engine suddenly shuts off at a stoplight... and this car could be a *lot* worse when it comes to parallel parking...
LOL...I took my drivers test in the Insight. The lady didn't really pay it much heed when it was in auto-stop. She probably couldn't tell the difference...I could have done a U turn in the space she had me do the 3 point turn :D .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well, my husband was the first in our family to drive the "little green hornet", nearly 700 miles from where I purchased the car to back home. He had some pretty hair-raising mobile-phone stories en route about nearly being rear-ended by truckers and giant cars at toll booths. Since I was'nt in the car with him I was able to take this rather calmly. If I'd been in the adjacent seat, I probably would have shrieked loudly and dramatically!

Now that the car is home, I've pretty much been the sole driver. I'm very protective of the little thing. Hubby is a good driver. Still if he does drive it, I'd actually prefer not to be there...just sigh w/ relief when he pulls in the driveway and say "Hi, glad you're back", whilst casually glancing at the body (the car's, not his, well at least not then)!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts