Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
The sad part of that article are the comments at the end.

There's nothing written there that isn't total common sense/basic economics... but reading the comments is like drinking out of a public toilet.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
You drink out of a public toilets? I pee in public water fountains, is that the same? :D

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
6,930 Posts
The sad part of that article are the comments at the end.

There's nothing written there that isn't total common sense/basic economics... but reading the comments is like drinking out of a public toilet.
:(

The "intelligence" of the general population is disturbing...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think that the article is right on. The comments at the end did show that these were not hybrid drivers.

When I look toward vehicles of the future, I believe that we will see people move toward multiple vehicle driveways. Like in my case. I have the 2011 Toyota Prius for my daily commute but when I need to run to Home Depot, pull a trailer or haul a gaggle of nine-year-old girls, I use the 2003 Lincoln Navigator.

There is no doubt that there are certain tasks that can't be performed well by a small hybrid or EV but by the same token that monster SUV can't do a few things the hybrid/EV can do... Namely, save money.

My new use strategy for only using the Navigator locally or when needed resulted in my not filling it up since 1/9/2012.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Cost of ownership

..............My new use strategy for only using the Navigator locally or when needed resulted in my not filling it up since 1/9/2012.
Unfotunately, to make your strategy work economically, depreciation, maintenance costs, insurance costs, personal property taxes,etc., all need to be ignored. There is more expense to car ownership than just filling the tank.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Unfotunately, to make your strategy work economically, depreciation, maintenance costs, insurance costs, personal property taxes,etc., all need to be ignored. There is more expense to car ownership than just filling the tank.
Like SouthernDad I too keep a 3rd vehicle in the garage / driveway. And I did run the numbers of depreciation, maintenance costs, insurance and license plates. I calculated and am currently WAY ahead. In my case I think the reason it works is because my truck is only worth 3k. My Insight is worth 6k. So all totaled I have less than 10k in vehicle assets, can pull a trailer, haul 5 people, go through deep snow and get an average of 55mpg over time (between the 2 vehicles). I feel like I'm stealing.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I cant wait for a true cross over vehicle that can get the mpg of a hybrid or push a button and be able to tow like an suv.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I need a larger vehicle for hauling, 4x4 for the bad winter days, but something that gets great mileage. I kept my 2002 chevy avalanche z-71 4x4 for the hauling/towing/ 5 people capacity, and have the insight for the commute miles every day. My 15 year old has his learners permit, so sometime in the next 6 months he will probably get his license, a part time very local job, and will take the truck unless I need it. About a year ago we had a bad snow storm and a major north south road about 2 miles west of us was shut down due to the snow. About 200 people got stuck and spent the night at a gas station about 5 miles from us. With all of the open farm fields around here they can plow a road and an hour later it is completely drifted over. Just Friday night a pickup took out a fence about a half mile south of us and required a wrecker to get him out of a horse pasture. About a quarter of a mile north of us a BMW was in the ditch. 4x4 is really nice. I have very aggressive tires on the truck, they even have the winter snowflake symbol on them. A foot of snow is nothing for the truck, actually makes the ride nicer and quieter. I think the insight is done in about 6 inches of snow, maybe less. My wife drives a Honda pilot all wheel drive. First winter with it. Last year a few times she could not make it up the driveway due to a snow storm in her Toyota sienna.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
For me, the Insight is my daily commuter, winter or summer.

There are probably 3 days out of the year that the Insight has trouble driving in, namely those winter storm days.

Last year I got stuck trying to go through a road that a truck had previously driven. I was prepared and had a show shovel with an extendible handle, and it took 45 minutes to get unstuck, but I did make out.

For me, owning a truck is a 1% proposition. I would use it only 3 days a year, and thus it's not worth it to me. If I really need to haul something, I just rent it instead. Really much cheaper for me, and I don't have to store it anywhere either. Very nice.

If I need to haul something larger than what fits into the Insight, then I borrow my wifes Honda Fit. It's amazing how much stuff you can fit back there. As mentioned, for even bigger stuff, I just rent a truck.

Jim.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
3wheeler - you are not too far from me. I don't know if you are in an urban area or rural area, but there are town after town between Woodstock and Chicago, but if I head west there is only one town between here and Rockford which is 40 miles away. Just in case I have a chain, a strap, an extraction strap, a regular snow shovel, and a long handled dirt shoved in the truck. I usually throw a set of boots in there along with a hooded sweatshirt and coveralls just in case. About two or three weeks ago we got a little snow, an inch or two, and I was spinning the front tires of the insight at almost every intersection. Would have need nice to have mima and cut the assist. I was not the only one. There was a jeep cherokie two wheel drive that could not make it up on route 14 at the intersection of route 31, and could not back up due to the traffic behind her. Luckily I was paying attention to traffic flow and had jumped into the fast lane a few hundred yards before, and the insight made it up the slight incline. If I had the truck I could have pulled her up.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
3wheeler - you are not too far from me. I don't know if you are in an urban area or rural area.....
My drive to work is all rural.

Usually back country roads, since my maximum speed is 40 mph.

There are times when I have to change my route since snow makes it hard for me to pass on the country roads, and I then switch to a main highway where there's more traffic and the road is generally clearer.

Jim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts