Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had braided brake lines made for their Insight?

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
I'm also interested in this. I bought Goodridge lines for my 2010 Fit Sport but haven't installed them yet. I'm pretty sure Fit lines *won't* fit the gen1 Insight.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never got around to it, but I will at some point, Merlin Motorsport in Castle Combe can do bespoke lines though.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess a spare caliper from the breaking day will help work something up, or indeed the brake line itself!
That is a great idea,i'm happy to take all the brake lines, and the clutch line to get a price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone tried high temp. brake fluid along with those braided lines? How about a group buy on some six piston Brembro calipers to eliminate the massive brake fade we all are experiencing.

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
Has anyone tried high temp. brake fluid along with those braided lines? How about a group buy on some six piston Brembro calipers to eliminate the massive brake fade we all are experiencing.
Yeah, when I was screaming up behind slower cars on the autobahn recently and had to slam on the brakes when they wouldn't move over fast enough, I sure could have used some six piston Brembro calipers, braided brake lines, and high-temperature brake fluid :)

<Wait, that was in another life with another car.>

·
Registered
466 Posts
Braided lines serve three purposes:
#1 - they help with massive braking instances where pressures from serious racing is in order

#2 - they give the "squid" bragging rites or "street cred" so he can "pose" amongst his young male friends in a feeble attempt to impress them while they live at home.

#3 - they help spurn the economy in the spending of completely needless expenditures.

Which one of these are you trying to accomplish?

As mentioned... why not go with Brembo calipers and drilled/slotted rotors along with high-temp fluid to assist the massive requirements needed to slow this light-weight car down from 60 mph to zero... This isn't "The Fast and Furious", there is absolutely no improvement by installing these things unless you either put a blower or V8 into this car and run it on a track consistently. Even my last motorcycles, capable of over 175mph didn't have, nor need, braided lines.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Semi-related, I can't remember whether I was dreaming or inebriated when I brainstormed about trying to find ceramic rotors for my 2000 MT Insight...

Now in a more cognizant state, I'm laughing and holding off until I get a car with triple digit HP.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Lol... yeah, unless its a K-sight, or some other ridiculous non-insight insight mod, improved brakes/lines is probably unnecessary.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just don't like the feeling of my brake pedal getting softer even after a fresh machine bleed because the lines are getting old. I'd rather just replace it once when it's due to be replaced and be done with it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Roen - If you do, please post pics, part numbers, and site you purchase from. If my hoses get old/cracked, I might follow suit...

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Well, yeah, the Insight is no Autobahn burner. That said, I'm used to driving higher performance cars and I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too w/this car so I'm interested in making it feel as good & sporty as possible while driving it. So, yes, I replaced my steering wheel w/an S2000 wheel because it feels good. I replaced my shifter bushings and installed a short shift kit, leather knob from a Prelude and Momo leather shift boot. I'm still working on how to get this 1850lb car to actually FEEL like it's that light & nimble while also inspiring confidence to push it hard in the corners. I think a firmer brake pedal would improve that feeling I'm after so that's why. I don't expect to stop any faster and I don't care if you can SEE that my brake lines aren't rubber anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Consider this.

As our cars get older the likelyhood of requiring new brake hoses increases.

Looking at the price of the hoses from Honda, a set of 4 braided hoses is likely to cost less than a single front line from Honda given that a single front line is nearly £60.

So the thoughts about braided lines are not perhaps as frivolous as you may think.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
In addition brake fade is a known problem. I had the misfortune of going to 'Essex' on Sunday for a party and after multiple 60mph stops at junctions (roundabouts) every mile, I was surprised to find a lack of brakes on the fifth high speed stop (a little scary actually). Anything that can be done - better brake lines, better fluid or better pads must be welcomed.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In addition brake fade is a known problem. I had the misfortune of going to 'Essex' on Sunday for a party and after multiple 60mph stops at junctions (roundabouts) every mile, I was surprised to find a lack of brakes on the fifth high speed stop (a little scary actually). Anything that can be done - better brake lines, better fluid or better pads must be welcomed.
It's pads you need to help with the fade, also drilled/slotted discs may help with allowing the pads to de-gas & prevent glazing if they are getting that hot.

If you had boiled the fluid you will find that the pedal doesn't return to normal feel once the brakes have cooled.

The braided line will give a firmer pedal, but not help with hot performance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wouldn't mind driving with some slotted rotors, some HPS pads and some stainless lines, if I ever decide to autocross this car, I'd have the brakes for it.

My point is, I'd like to be able to upgrade the brakes in a way that doesn't adversely affect mileage, and I think pads, lighter rotors and lines seems to be a good way to do so.

Too bad the vendors don't have any applications for this car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just don't like the feeling of my brake pedal getting softer even after a fresh machine bleed because the lines are getting old. I'd rather just replace it once when it's due to be replaced and be done with it.
Could be more going on there than just the stock brake lines.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts