Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while making a long highway drive, both the parking brake and battery light (12V not charging) flickered on and off. It happened on a few separate occasions separated by several minutes. They would flicker on and off for a few seconds and then stay on for no longer than 15 seconds, then turn off. Has anyone else have this problem? The only difference was that this trip was my first time running the fan on full blast (no A/C) for an extended period of time. I was also listening to my cd changer and had the headlights on. When the warning lights first came on, I wasn't really sure what was going on. Then they turned off. A few minutes later, they came on again so I lowered the fan speed to 3 and the light went out for several minutes. It eventually started flickering back on and I lowered the fan speed to 2 and switched from the cd changer to radio and lowered the volume. They didn't come back on after that. The IMA battery was at the top two bars when all of this was happening. When I got off the highway, auto-stop worked normally and the lights never appeared again.

Does anyone know what happened? The 12V battery is only a few months old. Was the DC-DC converter system not able to keep up with the high load imparted by the lights, fan, and my stereo?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess this hasn't happened to anyone. It's been fine since I first posted this but it happened again to my dad this morning on his way to work. He said the A/C was off and fan was on low. I wanted to bump this thread back to the top to see if anyone has had any experiences like this.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm looking for an answer to this. My brother mentioned this and I need to figure it out before I drive cross country only to be stranded in some remote location. lol

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,577 Posts
If you aren't driving your vehicle much, the 12V battery is not getting charged a lot. The IMA system is very stingy on the 12V battery charge. Take a nice long drive without using a lot of electrical load and it will probably be fine. Get a 12V circuit reader than plugs into the cig. lighter and you can see the difference.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
I'm looking for an answer to this. My brother mentioned this and I need to figure it out before I drive cross country only to be stranded in some remote location. lol
Does your problem happen when using IMA assist, or just randomly? If the former, then the pack is weak. Most of the time when I was testing stuff I found that the DCDC disabled when a voltage tap dropped below 14V, no load [edit: actually, that's with load, but only a small one, like -1A]. I imagine it's possible the same thing can happen under the right circumstances while driving, just after using assist.

If the latter, then you might have bad grounds, and/or undercharged or bad 12V battery.

·
Administrator
11,583 Posts
Do the 12V higher voltage charge mod by cutting the green and white wire in the back on the DC-DC control plug.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts