Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I first got on this track reading on the Toyota prius is having a new coasting system incorporated into their New driving modes, it's is a semi disconnect from the drive train to get better x % mpg. Nothing beats coasting. show to prove design and trade off peaked limit has been reached without a total redesign. So their working on getting rid of friction and some how incorporating it into their tran, this year. W/class top secret.:) as its the same as torque gain at useable all speeds, it's compounding in a tank full.
I knew about semi metallic disc brakes where it's designed from way back and the shoe rest on the Rotor, and hand turning it you could feel the friction. That we could do, it's was ok then, but were searching for above normal mpg gain or free mpg gains, was Wanted to design a way to hold the brake shoes apart, more of a shim type spring. and searching for ideas found it's being done already by raybesto TYPE THIS [ honda civic brake drag reduction clip price] in goggle shopping search. It's 5 or 6 bucks for front disc brakes.
and w/napa name on it you can search if your store has it. NAPA - Products - HIDE_ProductSecondLevel - HIDE_Product Detail
Also make a discovery Honda has a smaller and weaker version on their same stock disc brakes, 2003 hhc 1 it's a thiner v shape wire with the ends bend down down to fit into 2 small holes on the brake shoes. But even if you got stock newshoes the spring will not work intended by designer as the shoes holder is preventing it to spring back, and it's too weak to work alone and without customizing it. More to follow in a while.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Putting on the clip can be done without a C-clamp unless you are changing new shoes, after putting it on, hold Down low and the brake caliper can be slip over the top. Checking clearance, I did used the Honda stock v clip together with the Raybestos clip which feel perfect working together, stock first in the holes and the other right over it.
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/members/22449-aqua-albums-solar-mod-picture1065-1.html
the old shoe with the stock clip was matted showing it's wasn't getting any free play travel it just too tight to even pull out, need a screw driver. What it is the design team had the intention of free play but no follow through. the brake holder tension would need special attention to bend the clips back and put on the caliper and check take it off and readjust a few times and also find the right spot of tightening down the calipers bolt to keep the same amount of Desiree free play. Worker don't have this time. Just one shot take it or leave it. But we got the love or obsession right? :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I tried useing without the stock brake holder clip and it worked with no brake contact at all even with new brake shoes, but found out hitting road hard bumps gave a rattle. thinking about it now, I could give more free clearance as my pad was just barely touching, but still touching, as I bend the side two sides with pliers and left the top and bottom tabs as is tight, lifting up. the shoes could slide but it's was ok Tight. It's coasted unreal now, but can be adjust better still http://www.insightcentral.net/forum...-solar-mod-picture1063-filterstorm-image.html and holder.http://www.insightcentral.net/forum...-solar-mod-picture1063-filterstorm-image.html
It's a great improvements guys, red devil, and cobbs we were talking about really true free mpg gains, do check but insight has to have a older civic brake design.
This is one case where it's better than expected, but remember to bend on the tabs. It truly feel like your on just two wheel in neutral. If you know Honolulu .
From last lookout of daimond head I coasted engine off and restarted to gain speed twice all the way to kahala golf course stop light. about a miles and half about half down hill. double the distance, City block easy, it hold the same speed for a while even slow speed. So anybody game to try it? Or what do you think? I think coasting rule. Do the reset test, and check gliding mpg reset try coasting. Numbers turn faster, try killing the engine it turns and skips numbers.only problem is you don't get Regen, but you can turn assist off and coasting as I do.:)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Interesting..... Looks universal. Now if only the Insights had disk brakes all around vs just the front for the Americans. :)
Hey cobbs, good enough, try it, but 4 wheel would be a dream.Your 04 insight is type in "Honda civic brake reduction clip" in search shopping. 5-6 bucks

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I have noticed a bit of drag on my car, and I replaced the brakes with some good metallic aftermarket ones... that clip was actually weaker than the stock one, which barely did anything.

I might try a set of these next time the weather is nice enough to futz around with my car.

Sam

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have noticed a bit of drag on my car, and I replaced the brakes with some good metallic aftermarket ones... that clip was actually weaker than the stock one, which barely did anything.

I might try a set of these next time the weather is nice enough to futz around with my car.

Sam
Hey Sam make sure you bend the side tabs back, they make the tab too tight as is. So you can see a tiny space and it can work as intended and the two clip can work together. if they were just ceramic pad as it started out the rubbing would not be that much of a drag, but is only lately compare to disc brake design. they change it to semi metallic pads, the metal particles is what you hear grinding as it's intent is no fading when hot, performance and to grind the wheel rotor evenly, :smile:

·
Registered
649 Posts
One thing I notice is sometimes pads are tight in the caliber and carrier so a file helps to allow the pads to move and of course back off. Isn't the gen1 CVT caliper different to the MT version as they back the pads off for coasting?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Aqua- which one of the napa parts numbers did you use? After reading the NBDRC page I can see why napa stores can never find anything-or do they have a page listng cars(with the part# for each car) instead of listing by napa part #s?
ANyone try to use dual clips?(The Honda"weak"ones?)
ed

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
One thing I notice is sometimes pads are tight in the caliber and carrier so a file helps to allow the pads to move and of course back off. Isn't the gen1 CVT caliper different to the MT version as they back the pads off for coasting?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
On the civic it's a half square slot top and bottom and there a shoe holder, check pictures. I bend the sides tabs that hold it snug, but as you say its over tight. take your time bending it. Get it perfect.The objective it you want the spring to push the pad away from the rotor both side, and its doesn't rattle when you hit sharp bumps. I tried taking it off, rattles, tried again today and used just the bottom holder alone.just tiny rattle only a very hard bumpy but I may leave it, as its coast even better. I keep the top holder clips as it might change as these are new pads.
Try it you can buy the clip alone 5-6 bucks read below.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aqua- which one of the napa parts numbers did you use? After reading the NBDRC page I can see why napa stores can never find anything-or do they have a page listng cars(with the part# for each car) instead of listing by napa part #s?
ANyone try to use dual clips?(The Honda"weak"ones?)
ed
Your local Napa you have to ask. The number there. But type in " Honda civic brake reduction clip" in goggle shopping. It's has the links to all the clips for all civic years line up. Yes use both clip it's stronger has a nice feel on the paddle.
It's only sold by one company. And Napa sell it under their name. The clips alone is 5.44- 6.44 plus shipping.;-)

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Appears the newer insight is listed as part 84201 Ill see if my local store has them. Looks like a fun 30-45 minute project. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Use a Harbor Freight remote temp sensor(looks thru the wheel) to compare the disk temp before and after installing the clips to see if there is less brake drag=cooler disk temp.
ed

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Appears the newer insight is listed as part 84201 Ill see if my local store has them. Looks like a fun 30-45 minute project. :D
Thanks for the info cobbs,:) rock auto site might have it too, but how they categoric is anybody guess, search isn't no help, too many parts,used both clips, and be sure it's has free space after tighting down, you will be rewarded with a coasting go cart.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Use a Harbor Freight remote temp sensor(looks thru the wheel) to compare the disk temp before and after installing the clips to see if there is less brake drag=cooler disk temp.
ed
That a idea, after first putting it on I travel about 10 miles and hand touch the wheel rims and it was barely warm, before stock get very hot could burn your hand. And now I can reach in and touch the caliper and it's just very warm from braking.
after doing the adjustment they is no mistaken if it made a diffrents, its will blow your mind :D when you put in in neutral to see how far you can coast, the mph do not drop it's stay the same about 15 secound or more. normal is about 4 second.:) I run 50 psi

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Although I have one of those gizmos I got off ebay for next to nothing I typically use it in the cafe at work to give them a hard time about the temperatures they hold their hot and cold bar at. :D

I was going to use the MID as an indication of its effects on mpg.

Use a Harbor Freight remote temp sensor(looks thru the wheel) to compare the disk temp before and after installing the clips

·
Administrator
13,093 Posts
I still can't work out how to order a couple of sets of these for my civic hch1 and get them sent to the uk.

Can someone help me out with the exact part number and link or order me some and send them over?

I can paypal them the money. Please.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts