Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some insight (pun intended) on the electrical circuitry on a 2001 insight. Every so often, the battery & brake warning lights will come on & after awhile go off again. They always go on & off together. Driving over a bump can cause both events. The previous owner had it into his local Honda dealer & they were unable to diagnose the problem. I'm considering taking it to my dealer but if it's just a loose wire or short, I'm going to be paying out of pocket & finding it could take hours. I believe it's a false signal & that it is no more than a nuisance. Just living with the problem is a possible solution.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Parking brake light and Battery light come on together when the charging system is not working. Basically it means your running the engine off the 12volt battery. If it stays on, the car will run until the 12v battery dies, and then you'll need to call the tow truck.

On a normal car this would mean something is wrong with the alternator. The Insight, however, has no alternator. It uses a DC to DC converter that keeps the 12v battery charged and provides power to all the 12v systems.

I've had this problem intermittently both times my IMA system shut down. If it weren't for that, I probably would never have bothered to replace the 144v battery.

I'd check the 12v battery, including it's connections. After that, it's hard to tell. The systems too much different than a normal car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Insightful Trekker said:
Check _all_ the ground cables for corrosion and cleanlyness at the points of contact.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3196

HTH! :)
Which grounds are you referring to? All of the grounds under the hood? One other thought. The previous owner didn't drive the car very much. Do you think the battery pack needs some miles on it in order to function better? It seems like the lights have been coming on less often since I've been driving it the past few days.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Read the post and look at the pic's in the link before asking redundant questions, please :?: :)

No, the IMA pack will be full when the SoC meter shows it as such.

Electrical anomalies when driving over bumps most often indicate a problem needing attention.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brake & Battery Lights

Well, I've had the car for almost a week now. I don't want to get too confident, but the lights don't seem to be coming on now. The first couple of days they were coming on quite regularly but now I don't see them. Like I said, the original owner didn't drive the car much. Only 32000 miles on a 2001. I drive it every day so I'm hopeful that the problem was that the system just wasn't getting enough use. Anyway, thanks for the helpful suggestions. I still intend to clean up all of the ground connections because that just seems like a real good idea.

Cheers!..........Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brake light/battery light issue

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys could pass along information regarding the ground cables (corrosion, location, how to check them, etc.). My 2000 Insight seems to be having the same problem--I have a new a 12v battery and IMA battery is fine but the brake and battery lights keep coming on and the dealership I take my car to has not figured out the problem. Insightful Trekker's link no longer works. Any assistance or info. re: ground cables would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!! :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi,

I was wondering if you guys could pass along information regarding the ground cables (corrosion, location, how to check them, etc.). My 2000 Insight seems to be having the same problem--I have a new a 12v battery and IMA battery is fine but the brake and battery lights keep coming on and the dealership I take my car to has not figured out the problem. Insightful Trekker's link no longer works. Any assistance or info. re: ground cables would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!! :)
See any green and it leaves the machine.
Two under the engine air filter box, connecting the body to engine and tranny.
The third one is the 12 volt battery ground itself. This corrodes internally and is hard to spot.
Cheap and easy to replace with generic from any auto parts store.
Clean the metal under the mounting bolts with a scotchbrite pad, and cover with light grease to prevent further corrosion

·
7,200 Posts
Ground Straps 1 through 4 (G1 - G4)

And the one nobody ever mentions:

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
Yes.

Willie

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Mike,

After I've tached up the engine over 4000 rpm, my brake and battery lights will regularly come on together for about 30 seconds, then go out together.
Wayne
Silver2000MT112K

·
Registered
11 Posts
gobulchul74 is correct if the IMA light on the dash board is on. If the light is not on then it could be the battery going bad , the ground cables that people have suggested could also be the problem. But, I am wondering if the battery bar is in place. It should be mounted on top of the battery and bolted in place. Also, make sure the battery connections didn't come loose. I would also get the battery checked before I spent any money. Most auto parts stores will check them for freeeeee!!!!
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 12 volt battery is new (was replaced for free by the dealership) and my IMA battery is functioning appropriately. I checked the ground cables yesterday---one of the cables was barely attached and was corroded and brittle. When I touched the cable, it completely broke off. I purchased new cables and with the help of my dad, replaced them yesterday. The lights haven't come on since and the car is performing much better--IMA is charging better, and mpg has gone up as well. :thumbup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ground Straps 1 through 4 (G1 - G4)

And the one nobody ever mentions:

On that last image where is that last grounding generally located? I cannot tell very well by the photo. Is it on the left or right side and under anything? I keep looking but I do not see it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
On that last image where is that last grounding generally located? I cannot tell very well by the photo. Is it on the left or right side and under anything? I keep looking but I do not see it.
To me this looks like the passenger side. That looks like the power steering boot and the inner tie rod end.

**edit**

I checked this one yesterday and it's on the driver side.
It's kind of a pain in the butt to see, but if you stand
next to the driver door and lean over into the engine
bay with your head upside-down it should help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts