Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.

Over the past few weeks I've noticed that the brakes on my '01 CVT click the first time I use them, and occasionally when I apply the brakes after I've been driving for a while.

Easiest way to repro (this happens every time I leave my parking spot at home):
1. Let the car sit for a few hours.
2. Start the car, back it up out of the parking space and let it roll to a stop.
3. Put it in Drive, and go forward at ~10 mph.
4. When applying the brakes, I hear a "click", centered below the dashboard and ahead by a foot or two. There's a very slight tug on the brake pedal as this happens.

The brakes seem to work with no problems, except for the click.

Any thoughts on what would cause this? I'll take it into the shop anyway, but I wanted to hear what y'all have to say.

Cheers,
Vince

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
From your description it sounds like one or more of the front brake pads shifting in the caliper when doing the reverse - forward or vice versa brake apply. More specifically the pad(s) are no longer "floating" and have enough adhesion to resist shifting until the adhesive forces are overcome which results in the pad slapping. This noise shoud be reproduceable during most any forward - reverse braking pattern, although overnight can make the problem more apparent.

Most frequently enough metalic brake dust accumulates and "rusts" the pad in place. A simple removal and application of an anti seize compund will eliminate the noise.

However, is is also possible that one of more of the rattle shims have failed and would require replacement. With a visual inspection such damage is obvious.

Finally, its also possible that the caliper pins that allow piston force on the inboard pad to transfer to the outboard pad are becoming sticky. Usually due to a pin boot being damaged and allowing water in. With one or both pads removed the caliper should "float" with only slight to moderate hand pressure.

HTH :)

John K. Bullock
Knoxville, TN

aka. Insightful Trekker

·
Registered
228 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts