Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sorry Evan :LOL: but I'm also in the same boat. I have partially fixed my brake lines but have more to go.

I found the video interesting because it showed the things that could go wrong. Not sure if he was going more for humor (to make his video more entertaining) -- I mean, who breaks their flare nut wrench!

The guy was rallycrossing his Insight, with all the mud under the fenders he didn't even give the car an underwash before diving in to repair the brake lines.

To quote Revtach (link): "To anyone attempting to do this project, be aware that it was a total bear of a job. All in all it took me almost 4 full days. I have replaced engines, transmissions, and done all sorts of custom work. This job was about a 7-8/10 in terms of difficulty mainly due to the tight work space."

What Bryan said, get a complete idea of what you (we) might be up against.

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
I also love those stainless steel fuel tank straps he had made. Does anybody know if he is a member on this forum?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ordered brake lines and they came labeled manual transmission. I have auto trans. Does anyone know if the manuals are the same as for the automatic trans? The website did not specify for auto or manual.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey @miecz -- I had the same issue. The manual has six brake lines, two of which become four for the CVT's 8 lines due to a break at the creep controller at the left-center of the engine bay.

Did you buy from SStubes / Fine Lines? If so, call their support line and ask for Josh Grayshaw; the two MT tubes that need to be sent back are labeled HMC0001ASS and HMC0001BSS. You could probably also email [email protected]. If they're not able to find the details, let them know to look up order #62259S, and tell them that Martin Kennedy sent you and that Josh promised to let me know when the new CVT-specific lines were programmed into their bending system.

One more thought: what year's your CVT? If it's before '05 you should be fine, but I think there are some slight differences in routing for '05/'06 (I may be thinking of the fuel lines).

Edit: After reading your bio, '02 CVT. Leaving the question in there in case others roll by and assume all brake lines are the same, just after watching someone learn that they aren't quite.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey @miecz -- I had the same issue. The manual has six brake lines, two of which become four for the CVT's 8 lines due to a break at the creep controller at the left-center of the engine bay.

Did you buy from SStubes / Fine Lines? If so, call their support line and ask for Josh Grayshaw; the two MT tubes that need to be sent back are labeled HMC0001ASS and HMC0001BSS. You could probably also email [email protected]. If they're not able to find the details, let them know to look up order #62259S, and tell them that Martin Kennedy sent you and that Josh promised to let me know when the new CVT-specific lines were programmed into their bending system.

One more thought: what year's your CVT? If it's before '05 you should be fine, but I think there are some slight differences in routing for '05/'06 (I may be thinking of the fuel lines).

Edit: After reading your bio, '02 CVT. Leaving the question in there in case others roll by and assume all brake lines are the same, just after watching someone learn that they aren't quite.
Hey thanks for the response. I bought mine from Modern Day Muffler and Brake. I sure hope you are right that it shouldn't matter. I will have some fun, NOT, pulling the existing off and comparing. I wrote to customer care, but may have to wait days for answer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought mine from Modern Day Muffler and Brake. I sure hope you are right that it shouldn't matter
No, no, the manual and automatic are absolutely different. Manual has 6 lines, automatic has 8. The additional difference I was worried about was between the '05- and '01- automatic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can replace a small section of a line, but from my experience (having replaced all the lines on the Insight, repairing one section of a line on an Accord, and replacing two lines on a CR-V) for all of the effort involved you may as well replace the whole line.
FineLines served me well with the stainless steel brake kit. Looks sharp, too!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts