Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son-in-law was driving her 2009 Hybrid Insight into the garage when the brakes failed. He put all his weight on the brakes, but the car hit and demolished a bench in front of the garage wall and then hit the drywall in the garage. He put the car in reverse and the car backed out of the garage even though he still had his foot on the brakes. The car backed all the way down the driveway, into the street, and up the curb on the other side of the street. There was front end damage to the car as well as fluid leaking out of the car. He called the Honda dealer and had it towed to the dealership. They looked at the car and said the brakes were fine! They said the mat must have gotten stuck in the brake pedal!!!!! Or, because it was 45 degrees that day, the brakes could have frozen!!!!!!! :cry: They refuse to take any responsibility. He is afraid to drive this car. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Doubtful you will find anything here as this site is for the Gen 1 Insight made 2000 - 2006 not the Gen 2 as your son or "her" as mentioned

·
Registered
685 Posts
There is no 2009 Insight. They were discontinued in 2006 and reintroduced with the 2010 Insight-II.

The events described would be consistent with pushing the wrong pedal: the accelerator rather then the brake. It happens.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Though the MY might be 2010 the Insight was available last year so maybe that's the case here.

Sorry but this seems "fishy" to me at best. This is supposedly your "son-in-law" but you then write "her". Supposedly "it" had problems with the car not stopping until it smashed going forward then supposedly "it" suddenly felt it OK and safe to put the car into reverse and had the same issue with the car not stopping. At best this sounds like a phishing email or like some of those claims against Toyota that proved inaccurate. Afterwards the brakes are checked and found to be in fine working order.

Floor mats would not be their fault unless you could prove that it was a known mfg defect. Brakes do not freeze at 45 degrees, or at 20 below. You mention damage to the front of the car but there would also be damage on the back from slamming the curb as you stated.

Based upon your post-count of "1" I certainly have doubts about the validity this story.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
April 1st was a little while ago, it's April 12th now.

Why do I think this is fake?
1. There is no 2009 Insight
2. If you put it in reverse and it started going down the street repeating the same thing it did when going forward, you wouldn't keep it in reverse, hello neutral?.
3. Shut the engine off?
4. Parking brake?
5. Put the car in park instead of reverse?
6. If there was leaking fluid, the dealer would spot this. Leaks don't just suddenly stop unless they run dry.

...I'm sure if I read this again I could come up with more, including the 'son, her, it' thing like others are mentioning but I'm not going to waste my time. The only way I'm going to believe this is to see pictures of the damage, otherwise there are enough trolls around that pop up on forums for me to think this story is included amongst the lot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brake problems

This Honda Insight is my daughter's car, but my son-in-law was driving it when the brakes failed to work. He said things happened so fast, he didn't have time to think - hindsight is wonderful! He just automatically put the car in reverse when he hit the bench and garage wall. It was not going fast enough when it went over the curb to do any damage to the back end. This is not a hoax. I wish it was! I can't believe Honda is not owning up to this problem - or maybe I can believe it. I own a 2007 Prius and Toyota is not owning up to their brake problems either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You may have to face the possibility that your son in law mashed the wrong pedal, no matter what he says. Happens all the time and people are just too embarrassed to own up to it. Dog ate the home work stuff.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My mats have little locks to keep them in place. I concur with the 'wrong petal' theory. My I2's brakes are the best of any car I've driven on a day to day basis. Even if the hydraulic brakes failed my I2 doesn't idle that high from a stop to actually make it move so fast as not to be able to pull the emergency brake. If he was moving that fast he was hitting the gas.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My size 12 shoes have gotten stuck between the brake and the gas before but that was my own fault especially when I'm wearing flip flops. I know I shouldn't be driving in them.
When it happened I was hitting the brake and the gas at the same time and almost rear ended a car at a red light. But it was my own fault not the Insights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My daughter was in the passenger seat and saw his foot on the brake. He was hitting the brake so hard he was off the seat of the car. The car wasn't going that fast as he was pulling into the garage.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Urban tales of unintended acceleration have been around since the Audi scandal of a couple of decades back... which were thoroughly discredited (just ask 60 Minutes about that). Sounds like you're trying to include an isolated incident involving an I² with those of Toyota's unintended acceleration recalls (and some of those have been obviously faked, as the news reports have conclusively proven). :mad:

And as suggested, you may get a better reponse in the I² forum, where someone else may report an incident such as yours. Right now, though, it just looks, feels, sounds, smells, and tastes like mixed-up pedals.
I think your son-in-law just needs a refresher course in pedal management... :D

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
IMO this post reeks of error(s)

No such thing as a 2009 Insight, wrong forum, and water does not freeze @45F.

Hydraulic systems for brakes have been around for over 75 years now. No such "intermittant" failures have ever been documented.

And since troll's are real. ;) I'd say the only logical conclusion is that this Insight was temporairly demon possessed. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts