Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered OEM brake pads and rotors, watched every youtube video I could find, searched the forum..... cannot find the answer.....so here goes:

Can anyone please tell/show me how to properly install the brake pad shims?

I see there are 6 shims included.....looks like the ones on the left double up? (I assume they get installed stainless first, then black on top)

The ones on the right are baffling....I cannot figure out how to get the shims over the metal on the back of the brake pad without bending it significantly.
Font Gesture Art Symbol Jewellery

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Interesting, I don't recall messing with shims when I did my brakes...

I think you're probably right on the doubling up, that stainless would go on pad side, black ones (teflon-coated?) on caliper cylinder side. I'd think the black ones are probably coated with something to prevent corrosion and maybe reduce vibration, if so seems like that'd go on the cylinder side, so corrosion doesn't gum it up... Could be wrong though... Uh, stainless likely wouldn't corrode either, so maybe the coated one (is it coated?) is for vibration and it'd go on the pad side? Hopefully someone who really knows chimes-in...

I don't see why you'd have any problem with the other side - just gently pry-up the metal clip at one end, slip it through the opening in the shim, shift shim all the way to other side, slip under clip, etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, I don't recall messing with shims when I did my brakes...

I think you're probably right on the doubling up, that stainless would go on pad side, black ones (teflon-coated?) on caliper cylinder side. I'd think the black ones are probably coated with something to prevent corrosion and maybe reduce vibration, if so seems like that'd go on the cylinder side, so corrosion doesn't gum it up... Could be wrong though... Uh, stainless likely wouldn't corrode either, so maybe the coated one (is it coated?) is for vibration and it'd go on the pad side? Hopefully someone who really knows chimes-in...

I don't see why you'd have any problem with the other side - just gently pry-up the metal clip at one end, slip it through the opening in the shim, shift shim all the way to other side, slip under clip, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I think you're right about it being coated, and I believe the reason you didn't mess with any shims is because Honda made a change post 2003 to include the use of shims, but would love for someone else to chime in to confirm proper order.

Also when you changed your brakes were they OEM honda or aftermarket?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I think there was shims, but I don't remember a double one, and I don't remember there being any mystery about how to install whatever I had to install. Brake pads and rotors are aftermarket.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Figured I would post this here in case anyone else needs it in the future….the silver/stainless shim goes on first and the black one is on top. Here is a picture of the stock oem one that I took off for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts