Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. I recently experienced a shakey brake pedal, and seemingly a loss of braking power when going over bumps in the road - like potholes, or even railroad tracks. I was getting really concerned because I didn't want to rear-end anyone. So, I took my Insight to the dealer and had them check it out. The brakes and braking system are fine. The technician told me that the ABS system can engage when the ABS system senses a change in the tire rotation - as in going over railroad tracks, multiple potholes, etc, and that it's normal for the brake pedal to shake (it actually vibrates.) I didn't know this since I have never had a car with ABS except for my Insight. So, in case anyone else is having this happen to them, it's most likely the ABS engaging. Still, keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you!! No rear-ending anyone, ok? ..."Larry H Parker got me . . " haha :lol:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Same problem...

I've experienced the same thing. I took my car to a dealer and had their senior tech drive with me in it. He duplicated the problem and confirmed it is the antilock brakes engaging, which I've found can often happen when you hit speed bumps, potholes, etc. It feels pretty bad, like something is falling apart.

I had antilock brakes on a much bigger car, and they never did anything like that. But it has to be tied into the wheel base, weight and the special tires.

I'm going to switch to MVX4 Michelin 185/60-14's when the original tires are worn out. I expect a lot of the problems will then disappear.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is good to hear, at the bottom of my driveway there are some bumps and dips and it fealt like I was hitting the ground. It's also my first car with ABS.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
ABS touchy

We've had this discussion on the yahoo group. Is appears that the Insight ABS is somewhat touchy and tends to activate earlier than in other cars. Maybe it's a design thing or because of the small mass of the car?

The only real problem I have with that is that ABS also kills regenerative braking!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I guess that would explain regen being cut out every time you hit a bump or go over a train track. I thought it was some feedback in the motor that caused that.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well if you tap the gas it will start regenerating again.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The brakes feel absolutely awful on snow. Very difficult to discribe how bad they feel. I thought there was something seriously wrong, but once I hit a snowless area, they were fine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ahha! I was just going to post about this myself :)

The one benefit (if you can call it one) to this behaviour is that you learn exactly where the tires are - I've never been able to dodge potholes as well in any other car!

The weird, ticky-grind, though - scary when you hear it the first few times!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Made me nervous, but I knew it had to be something, and my ABS guess is now confirmed. PHEW! thanks guys!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have felt it a couple of times as well. It definitly feels like something is wrong when it happens and I have had a couple of other Hondas with ABS and none of them do/ did this. It is a scary feeling when it happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts