Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2001 CVT and the brakes "click" every time i stop after backing up, i.e., every morning after i back out of the garage at the first stop sign. While it was still under waranty, we took it to the dealer and got the "its suppose to sound that way". They did some shimming which temporiarly reduced the noise, but it has come back.
Any other experience with this issue??
Does anyone else have the brake clicking

thanks
Warcloud

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Make sure the wheels are on tight.
On my previous car i heard a little clicking sound at very low speeds and it turned out the wheel lugs were loose!
I had just got it back from major maintenance from a new dealer the week before! I never went back to that dealer again.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My 2001 CVT does the same thing but it's just barely noticable. It would have bothered me more except that I knew what it was thanks to my 2002 CR-V. It is LOUD. Honda was calling this "normal" as well until they got so many complaints that they issued TSB's to install clips in both the front and rear to keep the pads from moving so much. I'm having it fixed this month.

They design the brakes to give the pads a little extra room or slack for heat expansion (I guess?!) but the CR-V has a little too much!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,891 Posts
How many miles on the vehicle? Have you owned it since new?
"Myopinion"
Your front brake pads are probably shifting in their holders. Next time you back up, use your emergency brake to stop. (Hold down the button on the lever so you won't hear the lever ratchet) Does the noise go away?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Willie Williford said:
How many miles on the vehicle? Have you owned it since new?
"Myopinion"
Your front brake pads are probably shifting in their holders. Next time you back up, use your emergency brake to stop. (Hold down the button on the lever so you won't hear the lever ratchet) Does the noise go away?
we just turned 36k - and the dealer said it was the brake pads slipping in the caliper- and gave me a photocopy of a honda bulletin that sez the clicking is "normal". We have had it in twice and I think they shim the brake pads -which makes it better for a week or so and then it starts to get noisier(easily heard with windows closed and AC on). Sounds like the clicking may be expected from the design of the brakes (some "slop" to allow for heat expansion) but I'm a thinkin' that mine may be more than normal. Anyone else have simiar experience?? Any advice other than more whining to the dealer (who actually has been pretty good on everything but this).

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
warcloud, out of curiosity, which dealership are you taking the car too here in the valley?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick said:
warcloud, out of curiosity, which dealership are you taking the car too here in the valley?
Tempe Honda - They replaced the battery recently without question - when we complained about a noise in the engine compartment, they replaced the whole air conditioning system. So they have met our expectations - except for this brake issue - which just doesn't sound right and its hard for me to believe that its OK and it sounds as if this is not a wide spread phenomon.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
You got a whole new IMA battery or 12 volt under the hood battery?

From what I've heard Tempe Honda is pretty decent. You may try another dealership just to get a second opinion perhaps. I've used Arrowhead Honda and I've had mostly good results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just the 12 volt battery -
[size=18]So i am assuming that no has this brake noise???
My wife met another 2001 insight owner in a grocery store parking lot and she said they had no brake noise.
The noise is getting louder, so i guess its time to go back to the dealer and tell him that this is not normal and they need to do something else[/size]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brakes Clicking

I had the same problem with my 2001... it is easily fixed by appying anti-seize compound to the metal edges of the front brake pads. I do this about every 6 months and it seems to work quite well. If you have any questions on how to do it let me know...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, i took it back to the dealer again (must be about the fourth time)- and now they say that it is a bad strut - they said that they are going to replace the bad (not both) strut - so we are waiting for parts to come in. I'll post the results. -
thanks to all for your input

·
Registered
66 Posts
How many miles on the car? It is unusual to replace just one strut.
_________
Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
William said:
How many miles on the car? It is unusual to replace just one strut.
_________
Bill
Just passed 36k - and i agree that it would seem unusual to just replace one - their response was that only one is faulty. I've been waiting for almost 2 weeks for "new bolts" to arrive so they can replace - my guess is that they want to delay the repair until after the holidays because of shortage of mechanics

·
Registered
11 Posts
my rear brakes click

2001 5-sp. after some work by Honda dlr on my parking brake (maybe a coincidence) my right rear brake started clicking - one click per wheel rev - at low speed ie in the last couple km/hr while slowing to a stop. Very loud and often accompanied by a creaky suspension-sounding sound from same location. Dlr tried adjusting the brakes and inspecting the drum but couldn't figure it out. They replaced the drums (only 17,000 km on the car) for which we split the cost - I bought one drum and they bought one drum and comp'd the labour. Within 1000 km the creak returned. Can anyone help me "brake" this cycle?Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: my rear brakes click

wagoneer said:
2001 5-sp. after some work by Honda dlr on my parking brake (maybe a coincidence) my right rear brake started clicking - one click per wheel rev - at low speed ie in the last couple km/hr while slowing to a stop. Very loud and often accompanied by a creaky suspension-sounding sound from same location. Dlr tried adjusting the brakes and inspecting the drum but couldn't figure it out. They replaced the drums (only 17,000 km on the car) for which we split the cost - I bought one drum and they bought one drum and comp'd the labour. Within 1000 km the creak returned. Can anyone help me "brake" this cycle?Thanks.
Wagoneer, did you ever get that fixed? What you described sounds exactly like what I've started experiencing with my 2001 5-sp. after getting the Honda Canada parking brake update (maybe a coincidence).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Liam's question re my brakes clicking

Hey! Maybe it's not just me! No I haven't taken it back to the dlr yet but will now. The clicking is still frequent - maybe all the time but it's just background to me now. This is an Ontario car and the parking brake work was the "update" put out by Honda. The clicking started within two days of the update. Parked it overnight then it started clicking immediately the following morning. As I said before, the brake drum replacement was a temporary solution. I'd be curious to find out what your dealer suggests. I'll get it to the shop in the next couple days. May not have a solve till spring b/c it's going into winter storage in the next week. Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
it'll be a wait till spring

The car went into storage yesterday, before I could get it to the dealer. But driving around Wednesday I listened for the clicking but it's less noticeable now and doesn't happen all the time. After the new drums, the noise returned but not as bad. Thinking back on it, when the problem initiated I was getting the click at low speeds with little or no braking. The dealer's first try I believe was to loosen the parking brake adjuster. After that didn't work they took a closer look at the brakes then we replaced the drums. My hypothesis was that the parking brake upgrade resulted in the brake being set too tight - enough that it may have somehow warped the drum when it was engaged with moderate force on the lever. But I may be way off. The dealer tech. was very good with it - he took it for a spin with me along and as soon as he heard the click agreed right away that there was a problem - so don't let 'em hassle you at the counter. This one may need a bit of patience on your part - I had the car back 3 times during the process. Good Luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I took my Insight to the dealer today for some regular maintenance and to have them look at the knocking noise when braking. They said there was a rust buildup around the outside of the rotor, and it was hitting the brake pad. They got rid of the buildup, and everything sounded good on the drive home--no knocking noise.

(In case it matters, I also had the brake fluid replaced as recommended by the manual after 3 years.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts