Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 MT. Close to 150k miles.

Coming up to a stop. Auto-stop kicks in. Car is silent. I apply the brakes lightly. I hear a quiet pop-pop-pop noise come from the back of the car at walking speed an slower. The noise slows and stops with the car. No grinding or other strange sounds. Not sure when it started happening since it only got warm enough in these parts for the auto-stop to be working on a regular basis.

Since no brakes = no noise I figure that’s the issue, but would like more specific opinions so I can sound smarter than I actually am when I visit the stealership.

Watcha think?

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
You have a small pebble in the groove/tread in one of the rear tires.
At 150K you are probably also due for front pads on the brakes.

·
Super Moderator
1,550 Posts
Most Gen 1’s don’t need rear brakes until maybe 300-400k miles or more.

I agree with Ecky, there might be some small component that has broken. Also, you are in a part of the country that tends to have rust buildup on some parts. It is not uncommon for the inside edge of the rear drum to get a bit of a rust ring buildup, possibly this is the case. If it has a rust ring it can be hard to remove the drum as they get caught on the shoes.

The dealership is your option, however if there is a good independent shop in your area that does Honda’s you might give them a chance.

Scott

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...
Sounding smarter than I am has never been so easy!
I'll update this when there's some sort of conclusion.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE - Just got back from the dealer. They “cleaned, lubed, and adjusted rear brakes” for a total of $63. Of that, 55 was labor and 4 was tax.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
UPDATE - Just got back from the dealer. They “cleaned, lubed, and adjusted rear brakes” for a total of $63. Of that, 55 was labor and 4 was tax.
Seems reasonable. It's not the hardest job to pull the slider pins out and lube them, to spray cleaner in the drums and add some dry lube for cables, but I think that's not too bad a price.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
Labor at the dealership nowdays is probably at 100-150 an hour. Depending on the area you are in. Very reasonable price. Did that cure the noise?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was happy with the charge. They are usually pretty reasonable, if the parts don’t bite you in the rump! Maybe I could’ve done it, but I’m at the point in my life where an hour of aggravation is an hour completely wasted.

And... I got to sit in all the new Hondas which is always fun! They had a very pretty dark red Insight that was tempting. A 2-door civic in an unfortunate yellow-green. No Claritys. “We sell every one we get, but not enough to keep one on the floor. We’d be happy to get one in if you’re serious, but you probably wouldn’t have your choice of colors unless you’re willing to wait.”

The noise is gone. I notice the emergency brake engages a little lower on the pull. Pedal feel remains the same. Money well spent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts