Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son-in-law was driving his 2010 Hybrid Insight into the garage with my daughter in the passenger seat. The brakes or computer system failed. He put all his weight on the brakes, but the car hit and demolished a bench in front of the garage wall and then hit the drywall in the garage. He put the car in reverse and the car backed out of the garage even though he still had his foot on the brakes. The car backed all the way down the driveway, into the street, and up the curb on the other side of the street. My daughter verified he did not have his foot on the gas pedal. It all happened so fast, he could not think to put it in neutral or turn off the motor. There was front end damage to the car as you can imagine. He called the Honda dealer and had it towed to the dealership. They refused to check the brakes - just wanted to fix the front end damage. They said the brakes were fine! The Honda dealer also refused to check the computer system. They said the mat must have gotten stuck in the gas pedal!!!!! Or, because it was 45 degrees that day, the brakes could have frozen!!!!!!! They refuse to take any responsibility. He is afraid to drive this car. This is not a hoax - I wish it was! Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
I'd suggest drug/alcohol/psychiatric counseling and/or driving classes. In addition I wonder why you are his proxy here? Is he not competent to get online and discuss this himself? Perhaps "too fast to think" explains it all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very funny! This is a real problem and I'm just trying to help them out! Thanks so much for your help!:mad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm sorry, you must have thought this was the Toyota forum.

Advise your son in law to enter the garage at a lower velocity next time, or to buy sturdier benches.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
If the system failed, you should see the red brake indicator like when the parking brake is on if not a second abs indicator. Either way you still have basic brakes, just no abs, force distribution.

Having said that, I notice on ebay quite a few insights with front end damage, but air bags intact. I almost rear ended someone out the gate when the car made the transaction to auto stop while I was rolling down at 7mph, but more brake petal fixes that.

I dont know about the reverse. My car reverse has no power and I frequently use half throttle for parking on none paves slightly graded surfaces.

Id file a compliant with the BBB and your local state atty general.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Id file a compliant with the BBB and your local state atty general.
It seems like quite a leap from misjudging a recently acquired vehicle's stopping distance to filing complaints with the BBB and state's attorney general. What exactly are you proposing they complain about?

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Was this first post really necessary to begin with? Other than visiting an auto store to have them scan the computer for any codes or visit a second honda dealer,or calling the honda number, the owners options are limited.

What would you suggest other than the below?

I'd suggest drug/alcohol/psychiatric counseling and/or driving classes. In addition I wonder why you are his proxy here? Is he not competent to get online and discuss this himself? Perhaps "too fast to think" explains it all.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
What would you suggest other than the below?
What my comment suggested was that it was driver error, backed up now by your comment about misjudging your car's stopping distance when auto stop kicked in. I suggest they take responsibility for their driving error and not jump to complaining or litigation where there are no grounds.
I apologize for the crass tone of that first comment but this has already been posted(if in the wrong forum section) and nothing new has been presented.
If the OP seriously believes there is a problem they should take the car for an independent inspection and if something is actually found wrong with the car then they can seek redress. Otherwise all I see is balloon boy hysteria.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The correct agency to file a report with would be Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA) | U.S. Department of Transportation, but since that would result in an investigation that when found fraudlent would result in an embarrassing trial, it's highly unlikely any more will be done.

If the original poster would report the names of the dealership and the service manager there, it would not be very difficult to find out if an incident was even reported. There probably wasn't....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This complaint was filed with the NHTSA and with the Honda Corporate Headquarters, with no replies from either one!

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
He called the Honda dealer and had it towed to the dealership. They refused to check the brakes - just wanted to fix the front end damage. They said the brakes were fine! The Honda dealer also refused to check the computer system. They said the mat must have gotten stuck in the gas pedal!!!!! Or, because it was 45 degrees that day, the brakes could have frozen!!!!!!! They refuse to take any responsibility. He is afraid to drive this car. This is not a hoax - I wish it was! Has anyone else had this problem?
lois145,

Here is the problem with your post the way I see it.....You brought up this issue twice and you are getting responses that you don't like or want to hear. You insist that this is not a hoax but it appears that most people do not believe that the incident happend in the way you describe, how Honda reacted to the issue or misunderstanding the way you are wording things. For example, you say "They refused to check the brakes" and in the very next sentence you say "They said the brakes are fine"....This does not make any sense and IF this incident really happend and IF this was Honda's real response then common sense should tell you to file an official complaint of the complete incident. You seem to be wasting your time posting this stuff IF you are really serious about resolving the "problem".

One has to ask why your son in law (the driver) has not filed an official complaint as of yet. It doesn't matter what I or others personally believe if this is a hoax or not because none of us can file the complaint for you.

If no one wants to file a complaint then you know something is fishy.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Have you tried a local news channel?

I can see where you can rear end someone, but the systems are different than the prius and the prius claims were found to be driver error.

Now you can burn your brakes, Ive done that on occasion autocrossing to work commuting from VA Beach to Richmond for work and caring for some sick family members.

In this case they just smell funny and make a lot of dust that collects on the wheels.

Now the other day I drove a suzuki sidekick stick shift. I was coming down a grade and was engine braking, then went to push the clutch and brake into come to a complete stop. Nothing was happening, so I assumed the grade was to blame and gave more brakes. Vvvrrrroooommmmmmmmmmmmm, I had my foot on the gas vs brake. Scared my passengers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They e-mailed a local newspaper, a Rochester newspaper and also Channel 13 news. They have not heard from any of the newspapers or Channel 13 news. The Honda dealer said it wasn't a brake problem and refused to even check the brakes or the computer system.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The Honda dealer said it wasn't a brake problem and refused to even check the brakes or the computer system.

How would they know that if they haven't checked? This makes no sense! Take it to another dealer.

·
Premium Member
10,327 Posts
Didn't we go through this thread in the Insight 1 forum?

Willie

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
My daughter verified he did not have his foot on the gas pedal. It all happened so fast, he could not think to put it in neutral or turn off the motor.
If this was actually a systems failure on the car, I hope you get some good response from the government or Honda (who should both be very sensitive to this kind of issue given the Toyota mess).

One thing I am wondering about, however, is how your daughter could have verified your son-in-law did not have his foot on the gas pedal. In order to verify that, I think she would have to have been leaning way over into the driver's space and looking at what pedals he was pressing. Given the kind of fast action you describe, it is hard to imagine someone leaning over and looking at the pedals while this was all happening. I am not saying it didn't happen, but I have a hard time picturing it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This complaint was filed with the NHTSA and with the Honda Corporate Headquarters, with no replies from either one!
If a complaint is submitted to the NHTSA, a matter number/reference number would be issued automatically and immediately. The system does not allow a complaint to be looked at before a number is assigned to it.

How did your son-in-law sumbit the complaint, by email, letter, or voice?

If you PM me that number, I can look into what the current status of the complaint is.

As for Honda Corporate, was the complaint submitted to Honda Japan, or American Honda? I've never worked with American Honda on a complaint, I'm more oriented toward the Chrysler Dodge products, but used to have some friends with American Honda who might be able to look around for me.

Without the NHTSA refererence number, either your son-in-law did not properly submit the claim and needs to re-file, or simply told you that he intended to submit a claim and has not done so yet. Either way, without a proper submission, I would not expect anyone from Honda or the NHTSA to have any idea that your complaint exists, or for anyone on the internet to take you seriously. I'm sure this does not apply to you, but believe it or not, some people find entertainment value in joining an enthusiast forum with the intention of creating an urban legend or viral rumor about that vehicle. It's unfortunate, but because those trolls exist, fine upstanding citizens like yourself are always subjected to increased scrutiny when making claims like yours.

In other words, "if it quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck."

Which dealership in Rochester are you working with. I have associates who work with the Holtz group.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I guess I feel compelled to get into the fray. I must admit that I am very sceptical. I will explain. After reading the original post, I tried my hardest (with out endangering anyone) to recreate what they were saying happened.

I went into an empty parking lot and pressed the accelerator to get moving. I pressed hard on the brake pedal with out letting up on the accelerator. Everything worked as it should have. The engine shut off and the car stopped.

I started moving again and pressed hard the brake pedal with out letting up on the accelerator and the pushed the CVT into Neutral. The RPM's revved and the car stopped.

Again I started moving and pressed hard on the brake pedal with out letting up on the accelerator, then turned the ignition off. The engine shut down and the car stopped. The only difference this time is that since there was no power braking or ABS I had to press a bit harder on the brake pedal, but I stopped safely.

Another reason I am sceptical is that the original post said they only took it to one Honda dealership. In the Johnson City, TN area we have several Honda dealerships to go to. If something like this happened to me I wouldn't be posting in the forums. I would make damn sure I got to the bottom of this. If I didn't get a reasonable response from the dealerships, then an official complaint would have been filed.

My suspicions were peaked when the original poster didn't post any pictures of the damage. I am thinking that this is someone (possibly an affected Toyota owner) who is upset that Toyota has had these problems and that Honda hasn't. I think that instead of Prius envy they are having a bit of Insight envy.:D

·
Premium Member
10,327 Posts
GMT..........Thanks for the reply and testing. When in doubt, try it. I'm like you.......VERY curious and don't like it when someone makes false claims. If the claim is valid........It will be the first.

Willie

1 - 20 of 43 Posts