Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am noticing that while i brake everytime on roads that are bumpy, the vibration causes my insight to stop charging and i feel as though i have to apply extra pressure to continue to brake to a stop.

However the next time i apply my brakes, the charge comes back on without fail. Do you guys have any suggestions or comments? Thanks for your time.

I have an 02 CVT.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The Insight cuts regen once the anti-lock mechanism turns on. It seems a likely posibility that very bumpy roads reduce traction enough that the computer see's a wheel locking up, thus cutting regen.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Bumps can easily cause the wheels to rotate at difference speeds compared to each other. When this occurs the ABS engages to help prevent the possibility of a wheel locking up. So the ABS does not always wait for one or more wheels to stop rotating before coming into action.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
kapps said:
The Insight cuts regen once the anti-lock mechanism turns on.
The IMA system cuts out (both charge and assist) when ABS is in operation as a precaution so as not to possibly add additional power to the wheels that would have to be modulated by the brakes. (Read: prevent the brakes from possibly having work even harder).

HTH! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THank You all

THank you all for your comments. This gives me a piece of mind knowing that it is normal. :D

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
FYI, tap the gas pedal briefly to get regen to work again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have found the the ABS kicks in more frequenltly on the Insight compared to other cars. Sometimes mine will go off briefly when coming to a stop on top of a bridge seam. This happened on my old Insight, and my new one too. Maybe it's due to the small wheels?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
jbrasure said:
I have found the the ABS kicks in more frequenltly on the Insight compared to other cars. Sometimes mine will go off briefly when coming to a stop on top of a bridge seam. This happened on my old Insight, and my new one too. Maybe it's due to the small wheels?
Our sensitive ABS is due to several reasons. Firstly I understand we have a relatively simple Generation 1 ABS system (possibly the lightest system available), which can be too quick to come on. This sensitivity (or heavy handed control systems) is exacerbated by the small contact patch of our tyres and the light weight of the car. Plus it is easier to notice the ABS coming on in the Insight and we as watchful Insight drivers are just more tuned into the car. Does that make sense? :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The Citrus Smoothie said:
I understand we have a relatively simple Generation 1 ABS system (possibly the lightest system available), which can be too quick to come on.
I instruct at a car control school part time, and the Insight ABS is significantly better then a 1st Generation ABS system.
Try the primitive ABS in a GM car made in the 1990s if you want to feel what a 1st generation ABS is like.

Read this to learn how ABS systems really work:
http://e30m3performance.com/tech_articles/chassis-tech/abs/index.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts