Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok anyways so i bought a 2000 insight with 127k miles with a blown head gasket for 3 grand, jus got it fixed for 1000. and i know nooothing at all about this werid little car. :D

my most important questions..

1) battery doesnt ever seem to fully charge to the very top of the guage
2) car isnt always consistant with turning off at complete stops. some times it does sometime it doesnt.
3) what is the bar that counts in 50's mean?
4) whats with the car doing a full charge when going down hill while pressing the brake, only?
5) i hear you should buy a new battery after so often, how do i kno if the previous owner did? is it nessesary?
6) is there a timing belt or chain?
7) what is the regular maintence that needs to be done?
please help thank you

· Registered
90 Posts
I can give answers to some of your questions, but the final word will have to be Insightfull or one of the leet owners

Hard to know exactly what you mean here, it is hard for me to tell exactly where the top of the guage is on mine. OR it could be that your old IMA batteries are not taking a full charge.

2) car isnt always consistant with turning off at complete stops. some times it does sometime it doesnt.

The car wont autostop if it is not warmed up, if the AC is not on Econ mode, or if you stop then move forward a few feet then stop again (a big annoyance in city traffic)

4) whats with the car doing a full charge when going down hill while pressing the brake, only?

I don't know why it does this, but it is normal. I look at it as an option to force charge or not. Sometimes I want charge or full charge braking, other times I dont.

5) i hear you should buy a new battery after so often, how do i kno if the previous owner did? is it nessesary?

If you mean the regular lead-acid battery, yes you should probably get a new one if you still have the original battery in the car. I dont think the Insight will run without a functioning battery.

Lol, yes. But I havent read any posts about troubles with that item even at your mileage.

There is a knowledge base for this kind of question at this site. Honda recs 7500 miles for oil changes, you probably want to change the spark plugs since you are over 100k miles.

· Registered
90 Posts
it was kind of unclear is the insight has a timing belt or chain.
yes, I was being unclear, its a chain..here is a link from somone who had trouble at 170k or so..

Linky

If you have a working Insight I cant imagine why you would want to sell lol. But it seems to me that gas prices have nowhere to go but up.. the longer you hold on to it the higher the price will go.

· Registered
120 Posts

Do you see bars in the ASSIST "gauge" often?

I find that on hilly - even moderately hilly - roads, I have to be careful about not accelerating up hills, or from stoplights, or in stop & go traffic, if I want the Batt Charge to be "100%";
And, if you've got Manual 5-speed, be sure to maximize "CHRG" by keeping it in gear when slowing down and as long as possible when braking.

I find that - in my '01 - it rarely AutoStops.
Usually I get 1 Auto Stop about 15 mins. into my commute, at a light.
There's a unique combination of temperature and other factors that must exist.

3) what is the bar that counts in 50's mean?

This sounds like the "real time MPG" display,
and should be close to 75 cruising on the highway,
and may be 25-35 when accelerating.

Hit FCD button ( Fuel Consumption Display ) - BRIEFLY - to cycle between the "Segment" MPG and Trip displays (then hit TRIP button to cycle between Trip A, Trip B, LMPG)
READ the manual about FCD and TRIP MPG displays -
these can be reset
SO BE CAREFUL about holding down any buttons more than briefly.
And, when you do reset to 0, the car must be at a full stop.

If you've got 5-speed manual, you'll also need
to have the clutch in gear.
Perhaps this is just the way it works - ReGen is limited when the engine is slowing down the car, but much stronger when braking does the job

? ? ? Sooner or later the Hybrid Battery will fail & that's a $2 - 5,000 expense, depending upon whether other modules need replacing (and whether Dealer Will Pay for It even out of warranty period of up to 80,000 miles - in some states, they do - see other postings).

The other battery - starting battery - is about like any car's - ~5 years' life.
If that looks old & tests weak, consider getting a AGM motorcycle battery as replacement, lighter weight, less maintenance.
See postings here about AGM & one brand that's popular - altho others exist.

There's a lot to read (and re-read) in the Manual - and at InsightCentral :)

· Premium Member
2,099 Posts
The battery level should not reach the top in normal opperation. It needs some room for regeneration or the efficiency will suffer.

$4,000 for a functioning Insight! Whoa, sounds like a bargain to me. It won't take long to pay that down in fuel savings. ;)

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah the battery charge never seems to go to 100% to the very top.. its hangs around the half way point.. is thats cuz ive only been driving it for 2 days? before these two days of driving its been sitting for almost 2 months. [/img]

· Registered
120 Posts
Sitting at halfway point?

In my '01 insight, I would try to get it charged back to near full, if only as an exercise:

- If manual: use lower gears to avoid assist
3rd gear will comofortably take you to 60 - 65

- For slowdowns, do 'em carefully, brake slowly to maximize CHARGE

- Speedup SLOWLY to AVOID / minimize ASSIST bars

- Drive for an hour on the flat.
and /or
- Find a long (5-mile) mostly down-hill stretch and take it easy going uphill - let MPH drop so you don't use ASSIST

There is "Re-Calibration" where the battery refuses to recharge, keeps dropping, and then charges after getting down to 1-2 bars.

· Registered
1,526 Posts
The battery gauge shouldn't be sitting at the halfway point, unless you do mostly stop & go driving using a lot of assist. If it's below about 90%, the computer system will make it do a small amount of "hidden" charging most of the time (doesn't show on the charging side of gauge), thus putting more load on the engine and decreasing mpg.

As for the full charging when braking on a downhill, that's the way the regen works. It works together with braking. Lift your foot off, the gas, and you'll get a little charging. Step on the brake lightly, and you get more. It will start to use the normal brakes only after the charging rate is as high as possible. This might not be all the bars
lit on the gauge, though. If for instance the battery is warm, the
system limits the amount of charging current to prevent overheating.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, i drove all the way to the beach today and am very disappointed... on the highway going like 70mph, i averaged my mpg like at 55!! why?! and yes i am always in the asst.. im use to driving normal cars with normal power... im in the asst all the time. sometimes my mpg was 50 on the high way going like 75-80.. is this normal?

and in the city, the battery guage is so low, it has like only 3 bars! what happens if the battery guage goes all the way empty?

· Registered
68 Posts
A few points...

First off, it sounds like you bought this car because it was a bargain without understanding what you were buying. (You can't drive this like a "normal" car and expect the phenomenal mileage that many drivers get.)

Second, If you don't have an Owner's Manual you should pony up a few bucks to get one and read it cover to cover. Short of that, read the Knowledge Base on this site for most of your answers.

Third, become friends with the search function of the forums. People here are very willing to help out with issues, but you need to respect people's time and effort by at least trying to find some of the answers yourself. Many of the questions you've asked have answers that are readily available by spending a little research time on this site.

Finally, congratulations on your purchase of a unique, advanced and wonderful little car. If driven with a bit of attention to the FCD and road/traffic conditions this car will likely bring you years of driving pleasure and the knowledge that you're saving loads of money on fuel and reducing overall consumption and pollution.

Good luck. :D

· Premium Member
4,836 Posts
kleancut said:
<snip>... and i know nooothing at all about this werid little car. :D
But your learning. ;)

If its a 5 spd there's no lean burn available above _about_ 72 MPH and thats on the straight and level (ground too :p ). Search the forum on lean burn if you've gotta know. Its been extensively discussed.

Nor is ther any other car currently in production that can achieve 55 MPG @ 75 MPH.

If your unhappy with the purchase your "in it " at the right price :!: I can hear $,$$$ in your near future. :D (after the sale)

HTH! :)

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
spacebug mad it sound like i am no appreciative about the information your giving.. i am very. and yes i will probably sell it jus becuz i dont think i can get use to driving it to save gas. =) im a speed demon. everyone thank you for your time. and I AM grateful for yas time and info.

· Registered
110 Posts
If your battery gauge goes all the way to empty, it will automatically recharge itself whether or not you want it to. This may put a small damper on your mpg, though. :)

My advice to you is that you should keep it. How many cars can you drive at 70 mph and still get 55 mpg? Even the way you are driving it is already saving a lot of gas over a normal car. For example, a regular Civic coupe can average about 35-38 mpg when driven at a moderate speed. If you're speeding in the Insight and getting 55 mpg, you should be thrilled! I know I would be! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.