Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up my Insight 2 days ago. I have already driven 100 miles on it. First off I love it. I had nothing but fixed up sports cars before the Insight (first FWD and Auto trans in over 10 years!) I have been driving with the ECO button on religiously and have watched my MPG rising. I do a mix of stop and go on the way home, and flat out on the way to work. I thus far have an average of 45.0MPG. My question is am I really gaining or losing using the ECO button and also when the tank runs dry does the car revert to the battery?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well first of all welcome and I hope you enjoy your Insight as much as I do mind. Does the Econ button help? Well, I assume it does because if drive with it off you feel a differance in the way the car responds and I have always left it in Econ and right now am averaging over 50 MPG each tank full (not the gauge MPG, but real MPG). The second question about running only on battery power, I would say no the battery just assists the gas engine. I guess you could run a very short distance like less then half a mile IF the conditions were right. Only advise I would offer is drive with Econ on and drive like there is an egg on your gas pedal and take off gently and work your way to to speed and you will be able to get over 50 MPG without much trouble. Enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. This car makes you a better driver if you pay attention to the gauges and drive it like you should, just don't worry about the Knuckleheads behind you trying make you go faster. Also after you run 4-5 tanks of gas thru your car you should see an improvement in the mileage also. What part of the country are you in?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I know what you mean. This car makes you a better driver if you pay attention to the gauges and drive it like you should, just don't worry about the Knuckleheads behind you trying make you go faster. Also after you run 4-5 tanks of gas thru your car you should see an improvement in the mileage also. What part of the country are you in?
Im in Hybrid country (Los Angeles) so people here know Hybrid drivers are slow pokes. I can't wait to get more MPG! 45MPG right now is making me do the happy dance everytime I drive!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wait till you break 50 MPG, it is a nice feeling. At least you live someplace warm, I am up in Upstate NY and we get some crazy cold Temps in the winter that totally wreaks your mileage. You can probably get your average up to over 50 without too much trouble. Anyway's enjoy your car and have fun!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I find it interesting how much my mpg can vary with the terrain, weather and driving style. Right now I am averaging around 46 mpg (calculated) overall. This week I was driving north east at just over 65 mph with a slight tail wind. For about 50 miles my mpg in the MID display was averaging between 52 and 54 mpg. I thought, great, this trip should be a 50+ mpg average for the first time. But, driving home I was traveling south west, directly into that same wind I was being pushed by earlier in the day, and the average dropped to 45. I could see the change on the bar graph. Going NE in the morning with the tail wind, the bar graph was always in the 50+ range and driving SW it was between 40 and 50. MPG also dropped early in the week when it got over 90 degrees here and I had the AC on. It seems like being cool cost me about 2 mpg. Not bad to be comfortable. Mid week I made a 35 mile run at 80 mph+ trying to outrun a severe thunderstorm that was producing large hail. That short high speed sprint dropped my tank average to just under 42 mpg. My so-called "underpowered" Insight had no problem getting up to and holding 85. I missed the hail.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The I2 is a highway performer. The Prius beats it to around 50 but everything above that is to the I2's advantage where the Prius begins to slow down.

I had a situation this past week where I had to drive our I2 80 and occasionally over 90, one that a police officer likely would had understood, so I didn't hold back on the road.

Around a 70 mile round trip, the I2 performed damn well for having a tiny 1.3L engine and it's not like you're getting a lot of electric motor torque benefit at high speeds. If I had someone in the car with me that knew nothing about the I2 if I told them there's a 1.3L engine under the hood they'd probably told me "sure there is."

At any rate it was a really fun drive, wish it hadn't been under the circumstances I was dealing with at the time, though. But I never sensed the I2 begin to 'taper off,' began to wonder how fast an I2 will actually go before there's apparent diminishing returns in MPH.

MPG was a calculated 38 MPG.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I admit I've not read the whole manual, but does anyone know what the max speed is for the vehicle? I mean flat road, straight line, sea level... like Top Gear UK might test it. Without a real, old fashioned speedo, how would you know what it might be? I'm sure there is a governor of some type. Cannot find out for myself here, as I'm sure to be arrested! :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Supposed to be governor limited to 114 mph which is sort of funny because that's the fastest I've ever driven before (not in the I2.)

The Prius I believe is restricted to 103 mph.

I read around and seems Honda's implementation of hybrid technology has a top-end advantage and the Prius' top mph is limited due to concerns of having its hybrid system damaged if driven too fast.

Someone correct, if incorrect.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I admit I've not read the whole manual, but does anyone know what the max speed is for the vehicle? I mean flat road, straight line, sea level... like Top Gear UK might test it. Without a real, old fashioned speedo, how would you know what it might be? I'm sure there is a governor of some type. Cannot find out for myself here, as I'm sure to be arrested! :)
Fear not, it will probably take you 2 weeks to reach top speed, and not many people have that kind of time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it true this car takes some time to "break in" MPG wise? I've noticed my car seems a little bit spunkier the past 2 days. I am mid way through my first tank averaging 48MPG.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Fear not, it will probably take you 2 weeks to reach top speed, and not many people have that kind of time.
Is the I2 really that bad with getting up to speed? I've been in an Insight as a passenger with a driver who wasn't necessarily that light and the 1st Gen doesn't have that much difficulty getting to 112mph which is where 3rd gear and the governor hit at pretty much same time. With an I2 and the CVT I figure with it being at the maximum power point pretty much being held solid that it would make it up there without too much trouble, sure it would be some time and a foot solid down to keep it there but is it really that bad?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Keep in mind that the gen 2 is 1000 pounds heavier (2800 vs 1800 lbs). It is also true that the car is pretty much operating at peak power through your acceleration run because of the CVT, but that extra 1000 pounds is hard to overcome, especially with any slight incline.

Somebody who has a wide open roadway with no cops should take a YouTube video of the I2 at top speed, because I can't seem to find one online!

I1 = 0.0444 hp/lb
I2 = 0.0396 hp/lb

1 - 18 of 18 Posts