Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious, does the brand of gas matter when it comes to getting better mileage? I don't usually use a specific brand, I just use an 87 wherever it's cheap or nearby, but I remember when I fuel for the first time (after the first full tank from the dealer) I used Valero (because at that time it was the nearest gas station) and I got up to 60.8 mpg. Now, I'm averaging 53.2 mpg with Chevron, Shell and 76 (which are the gas stations closest to where I live).

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm not sure if it matters, but I believe that different brand of gas have different additive in them which might help or harm the engine. I always go for Chevron or Costco and then Shell. Other than those 3, I don't use any other. MPG also depends on how you drive, what's the temperature, etc. The correct way to calculate the MPG (at least for me) is to reset the odometer every time you fill up, calculating the mileage you drove divided by the gallons you consume. The display MPG is not correct, maybe 2-3 miles off, sometime 1.5 miles off, varies.

On a side note, I'm surprise to see someone in SoCal managing above 45 mpg. It's so hard to even get near 45 mpg for me in NorCal.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Dont forget different ethanol contents too. Ive seen a 5-8 mpg different between gas stations. I find BP gives me the most mpg, then Shell, Wawa, Sheetz, Sams club, Mapco and Hess/Wilcox.

Ive seen with mid grade you can pull more timing, lug the engine slightly more and get a tad better mpg, but its not cost efficient.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good to know. also i always have then econ button on and I make it a point to be in "the green" all the time. I do a 33 mile one-way commute to work using the freeway and have been averaging 53.2 even the MIDI says 55.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts