Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Down below are Consumer Reports reviews of a 2005 Insight with the Bridgestones and a 2019 Corolla with the Dunlops:

Now this may be comparing apples to oranges, as Dunlops are on a different car and in a different size, but what I find interesting is that the Corolla, with a curb weight of 2860 lbs., can stop 3 ft sooner on dry pavement and 17 ft sooner on wet pavement than the Insight, at 1850/1881 lbs. (w/o or w/ AC). Now, the Corolla does come with Brake Assist, and "according to a study performed by Toyota, nearly half of all drivers don’t step on their vehicle’s brakes hard enough or quickly enough to completely stop the vehicle in the event of an emergency. That’s where Toyota Brake Assist comes in. The Toyota Brake Assist is able to detect the driver attempting to make a panic stop. When this occurs, it supports the driver in braking, adding more power to the brakes." I don't know how much difference that makes, but it does seem interesting that such a heavier car stops shorter than our car. Maybe the ABS technology is better in a new car, and certainly the larger Dunlops have much more surface area (their 205 mm width to our 165 mm means about 1.6 extra inches) on the road, but maybe the Dunlops are a better braking tire than the Potenzas. Can't really say for certain without a same size and vehicle test, but I'm now leaning towards the Dunlops as my next tire. They are what my used Insight came with, and they feel good braking and did pretty well in the snow recently. I know the Potenzas get better mileage, but the Dunlops have better tread life at a higher price. The lifetime average on my car was 56.6 mpg when I got it about 88,000 miles, with some of that coming on the original Potenzas, though it has been steadily declining since, partly due to a cat problem, I suspect. (I think my best trip was 83 mpg on the 50 mph roads of Vermont, which is pretty good.) I feel like the Dunlps are the slow but steady cousin of the performance Potenzas, but I know what I'd be getting with them. Anyone else sharing their experiences of the Dunlops would be welcome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
have you considered the type of brakes on the carolla?
this comparison seems like apples to oranges
my muscle car is heavier than both the carolla and insight but can stop quicker due to the tire, tire compound, and brake pads/rotors installed.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Yeah, I don't think one could accurately judge the performance of the different tires based on braking distances with those tires on two very different cars -- apples to oranges... My read based on what I've seen about the Enasaves around here (there's like maybe 2 threads), the specs, etc., are that you likely trade some economy and handling performance for comfort/lower road noise moving from RE92s to Dunlop Enasaves.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a couple friends who are mechanics; they call that brand DoneFlop. They are merciless when it comes to a brand they have no respect for.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well I got the other brand and they are fantastic So far Quatrac5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, kinda frustrating that we don't have any data in a tire to tire test, so I guess it'll always be subjective as to which tires we choose.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well I got the other brand and they are fantastic so far. Quatrac5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow - user review scores for Quatrac5 are by far the best of the group, and so is the price. Till now, no tire has equaled the mpg performance of the Potenzas - maybe these will. :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Primary in my mind would be the safety of the Vredesteins over the other two. Small comfort in a wheelchair that you were getting two MPG better with your tires over another brand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts