Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed new tires anyway, but this morning I hit a curb and blew out the front left. I put on the compact spare and went to the local tire place that had installed them a few years ago.

They quoted me $97/ea, with both fronts the total will run about $250. They're ordering the tires now. I don't need the rears yet since I never got them rotated. How does this price compare with others here that have replaced your tires recently?

Also the bead on the rim got bent, the long nose on this Honda sometimes really gets in the way when you're trying to park. In any case, thanks in advance.

PS: Any reason that the rears should be worn on the inside edges? Seems like an odd pace for wear to occur. I remember they were on the front once and got switched to the back when I replaced the last two tires, but that was a over a year ago (I think two years actually).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Costco sells the Bridgestones for $91. Plus, you get $70 off if you buy 4, and $30 off for installation right now.

So that's $294 for 4 tires! Plus $30 off installation.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Similar prices here.

Discount Tire has $91
Sears has $93

You can usually find deals if you are willing to wait a month or two. I'll be replacing 4 tires around Labor Day when Discount Tire typically has Buy 3 get 1 free or $100 off a set of 4 sales.

·
Registered
56 Posts
More for people's interest than as a practical comparison, I can report that in December 2007 I paid £182.40 GBP [$285.81 USD at today's rate] for four Bridgestone B391s, fully fitted, including VAT (sales tax).

Martin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I went 2 the tire shop expecting new tires. They told me the rim was cracked and showed me a line around the rim where the bead of the tire sits, I'm almost sure that's been there pretty much for the 4+ years I'd had the car. I thought it was simply a scratch. It's opposite the side of the rim where the ding is (which I expected them to repair).

I'll try to update this post with a photo tonight.

In any case they say I need a new rim, Honda charges nearly $500 for these rims. Does this sound right or familiar to anyone??

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I called him, he seems like a very good person to deal with and helpfully earnest.

I found the wheel already on eBay, it should be coming in by FedEx in several days, in any case. After I get the tires on I will definitely getting to know Mr. Clark. :>

Don't waste your money ... Call up Clark ...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the recycle value of the old cracked rim?

... probably find a used one much cheaper ...
Thanks, I did find it on eBay. Now, another question. What is the recycle value if any of the old cracked rim? Anyone researched this yet?

Thanks in advance. :(

·
Registered
918 Posts
Good deal

Costco sells the Bridgestones for $91. Plus, you get $70 off if you buy 4, and $30 off for installation right now.

So that's $294 for 4 tires! Plus $30 off installation.

This was a good deal. After tax, disposal fees, state this fee, state that fee, the drive out price for a set of four cost me $350.04. I bought a set for my daughter's 2001 CVT and a set for my 2001 MT, total $700.08. Would have been $912 at the nearby tire store.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Don't forget that the Costco $70 off discount might be entertained by another tire retailer. My experience with replacing my tires with Costco was lacking and I went to Discount Tire after Costco replaced the tires on my first car and they overtorqued the wheels and took forever to actually have enough time to do the job. Discount Tire did the job right and took the competitors discount. I really have no motivation to pay a Costco membership fee(never have) just to get a discount on tires and if you want it done right, consider calling other shops and see if they will match the $70 off. I'm glad I showed up to Discount Tire and the matched the price that Costco wanted, without the membership garbage and horrific wait time. I returned to Costco multiple times and called them over and over just to find a WEEKDAY that they wouldn't have a 3+ hour wait to replace the tires. They offer free lifetime rotations and balancing but there is no way I'd return to wait 3 hours to get in line at 10am on a weekday to do it, I'll take care of that myself and take my business far away from them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
T h a n k y - s i x - t i m e s

Don't waste your money ... in LA County. Call up Clark ... got Insight parts ... a wheel from him ...
Hawkman & all who responded -
T H A N K Y
- S I X -
T I M E S

Got the new wheel from Clark, his most knarly beat up one for less than half of the eBay price. Washed it up, drove to the tire shop - now I'm singing the 'New Tire Song'!

Thanks so very much to Clark, Hawkman and all you Insight Forum fellers. I owe ya all a big one. I am back on the road with my meaty new tires. :!: - :!: - :!:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts