Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a new I2 n want to get brighter headlight cuz i drive a lot on the freeway and at night i can barely c anything.

my cousin got new lights for her toyota camry and it got burn days after

i just dont want that to happen to me

can anyone tell me which lights i could get?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I find the lights are pretty bright on my Insight. They just need to be aimed a littel higher. There is a thread in here somewhere that showed how to adjust them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
How much are Silverstars? Like $20 bucks a pair?

At $50, a DDM kit is so cheap, I don't see why you wouldn't get one. Even though DDM is not OEM quality, I imagine it would last longer than two sets of Silverstars since I have read they burn our relatively quickly.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
I have full hids, but my kits I bought were 100 bucks each with relay kit.

It maybe easier to get someone at auto zone or advance auto to help him switch.

I have yet to replace a silver start or hid bulb. My metro has silver stars, my tacoma did too and the piaa bulb for the piaa lamps.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so hids are the best out there??
i dont care bout the money ill buy the most expensive ones as long as they dont damage my car cuz the warranty wont cover that..
wat do you recomend the most? cuz idk how much is too much V for the cables in the insight to get burned...
thank you

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes, for the money HID is the best lighting technology available. If you are concerned about wiring issues, you can purchase the relay harness for $20. In the two HID kits that I have installed (one in an Integra in 2002 and the other in my Insight in late 2009) I did not use the additional relay harness. I have not had issue without the harness (flickering, intermittent shut off).

By the way I looked up the FAQ on Silverstars. They retail at $39.99 a pair and Slyvania recommends that you replace them every year before they burn out.

OSRAM SYLVANIA - Frequently Asked Questions

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
I used to use Sylvania bulbs and another brand that put LL on the end of the bulb size when I was using 9006 bulbs in my 95 Prizm. I used to drive an hour each direction with my lights on at night both ways(moreso during the winter) a few years back. Sylvania bulbs lasted me 6-9 months using them 2 hours per day. These were the standard Sylvania's, I read from another forum that people using the Silverstars were getting similar life from theirs too. I read up on the bulbs and people recommended the GE Nighthawk bulbs as being the longest lasting bright bulb there is. I bought them for either $20 or $30 for a set, I could only find them at WalMart after checking everywhere else first. I put them in the beginning of winter in 2008 and they've been in ever since and when I put them in they were far brighter than the standard Sylvania's.

If you want a bulb that can last, my suggestion is the GE Nighthawks if you can find them, they come as a pair in the package. Does the 2010 Insight use 2006 low-beams?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Very bright lights are a pet peeve to me. They blind me.

Please be considerate when driving b/c those on the opposite side of the street are blinded when people have either their high beams on carelessly or their new adjusted lights. Honda – as well as other car manufacturers – took all this into consideration before selling its cars. Honda knows what it’s doing.

I’ve had to slow down my driving to avoid accidents b/c of the opposite driver’s brightness. It’s very inconsiderate.

If you haven’t done it yet, I would strongly discourage you from changing your lights to brighter ones.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Very bright lights are a pet peeve to me. They blind me.

Please be considerate when driving b/c those on the opposite side of the street are blinded when people have either their high beams on carelessly or their new adjusted lights. Honda – as well as other car manufacturers – took all this into consideration before selling its cars. Honda knows what it’s doing.

I’ve had to slow down my driving to avoid accidents b/c of the opposite driver’s brightness. It’s very inconsiderate.

If you haven’t done it yet, I would strongly discourage you from changing your lights to brighter ones.
I agree!

If you have trouble seeing at night, I suggest lowering the brightness of the dash to allow your iris to open up and give your night vision extra reach. The same goes for any gadgets (GPS, sat radio, etc...) that may be glaring from the dash.

JP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Although i agree with the last two, i think brighter lights are useful as long as they are adjusted to factory specs. i had a Honda Fit and i had HID 5000k's and i ditched the reflector housing for a projector and i have driven behind dozens of friends and people i know and they never had a problem with me, and i would assume people driving the opposite direction

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
My advice is to get the most coolest color you can. Maybe deep blue, pink or some other off color. Then get 50 watt or larger ballasts, never mind with the 30 watters. Then rig the ballasts to you low beam circuit and get some 9006 bulbs for you high lamps, so you have light everywhere, not just the waist down like most cars. DONE!!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
The projectors in the Insight are very well suited to a HID kit. Whenever I am blinded by a car with HIDs, it is almost always a HID kit installed in a car with reflector based halogen optics. It is even worse when it is a lifted SUV/truck.

In my opinion, you are truly missing out if you don't put HIDs on the Insight II.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Agreed, you can blind in coming drivers by just being on the wrong side of the road, improperly aimed lamps and even silver start bulbs. I hate silver start users as those are freaking bright white. Then you got the semis with those blue hids in reflector housings.

When the scion owners use hid in reflectors it was common to lower the aim 2 inches to compensate.

What some of the good ol boys do is lower the aim and just drive with the highs on all the time.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Cheesie make sure you are not driving with only the running lights and click to the SECOND detent on the headlight indicator. For two nights I drove only with the running lights on thinking they were the regular lights and I couldn't figure out why Honda had made a car with such poor lamp projection. I know, I'm an idiot. But after everything I'd read here about the poor angle of the headlights, I just assumed it was an angle issue. Wrong. :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what is a relay harness cable?
been looking for light on ebay
you guys think the light they sell on ebay are safe for the I2?
the most xpensive ones were "legal lights" for 140 the kit

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cobb,

Just curious,

Your handle says you removed your daytime running lights. I was wondering- why?
To achieve better mileage (without the electrical drain of the DRLs)?
Some sort of incompatability with the HID kit you installed?

Several years ago, I was involved in an accident where someone pulled out in front of me (it was during the day), after I saw them looking "right at me" before they pullded out. They later said they never saw me. I've often wondered if I'd had daytime running lights on my car at the time if it would have made a difference.

If I remember correctly, the daytime running lights are run through a fuse that is exlusive to them. If so, then if one desired to permanently "disconnect" them, it would only involve removing the DRL fuse.

Another option would be to leave the daytime running lights hooked up but install a switch to allow DRL functioinality when somewhat marginal visability might be a concern, such as light fog, or mornings/early evenings when full on headlights would be "overkill".

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Ive driven with and without my lights on during the day and saw no difference in drivers behavior. I turn off the drls in the cars I own. For the insight you remove the fuse. If you decide to use hid for your high beams, you need to do this.

cheesie, I use relay kits that most hid sellers offers just as an extra level of safety so the power goes from the battery directly to the lights vs the cars electrical system.

I think ddm has a good rep.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts