Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am showing my car buying ingnorance here, but I need to ask....

If I buy an Insight from outside the state of California, and bring it into the state and try to register it, What fees am I going to have to pay at the DMV? Will I get charged sales tax?

Did Honda make a '49 state' version of the Insight that won't meet california emmisions? I don't want to buy the car, and not have it pass emissions.

Thanks,
C. Alan

·
Registered
225 Posts
AFAIK, all Insights are Cali emissions certified. It comes with the ULEV/SULEV rating.

I bought mine in Wisconsin and titled it in Illiois. I had to pay Illinois sales tax of $1400 and the title transfer was another $100, so there's no easy way out.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Re: Bringing an Insight into the State of California Questio

C. Alan said:
Did Honda make a '49 state' version of the Insight that won't meet california emmisions?
You're kidding right? Do you know what the Insight ULEV and SULEV mean? It means they are one of the cleanest vehicles on the planet! How could they not pass a California emissions test? But as was already said Hybrids are now exempt.

Most cars today are 50 state emission certified. I will now only buy a new car from out of state because California dealerships won't deal. Once a new out of state car is brought to California you have it smogged, let the DMV inspect it, pay the CA taxes and they give you your plates. Easy. I can buy a new car out of state, have it shipped here, and it will still cost me less than buying one in California.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The EPA Fuel Economy Website seems to suggest that the California version of the car is the only SULEV (the rest of the states get something not quite as good, though still kickass): http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_sbs.shtml

However, like the people say above, any Insight will be free even having to take an emissions test until (I think) 2010 in California.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts