Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had parked this morning on a city street near the local flea market (Solano Drive In, Concord, CA). Enjoyed a bit of looking and bargaining although the only thing I actually bought was a couple rolls of wrapping paper. ($1)

Come back to my car and there it was, the unnaturally clean window and the glass shards scattered on the ground. Passenger side window was so clean because it was gone! I had left on the passenger side floor my ratty briefcase and an even rattier sweatshirt that was covering it. The briefcase was missing, but the contents appeared to have been dumped out and were now mingled with the glass bits on the floor. They didn't take my credit cards, or my license or passport or work badge or office key or money. Thank goodness, that could have been a real problem to straighten out all those things.

After a few invectives definitely not in keeping with the season, I called 911. They got me to the Concord police. While I was waiting for them to show, I called the insurance company to start the claim process. After about an hour, I called Concord PD back and they allowed that they were really busy. So the officer took my information over the phone including the address etc and I got a case number. Should be good enough for the insurance, they've been good in the past.

So now my baby sits in the garage and will for maybe a week what with the holidays and my going off on a trip and all. Actually after a thorough vacuuming, it's cleaner than it's been in a long time, looks pretty nice. ( did I mention that I had been practically living in that car until my recent job change?)

Regards, Jim
'01 #191

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Jim, just proves its best not to leave anything lying in the car that might attract the attention of low life.
Although maybe something wired to the main pack would be useful in breaking the habit permanently! ;)

DGate

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Sorry to hear about your break in.

Many years ago, my camero was broken into. I built a 10kv pulsed supply from an ignition coil, dropped a small chain to ground the supply, and connected the hot to the chassis. A magnetic reed switch in the rear window let me turn it off when I needed to get in. It did not work too well on pavement, but on grass, it would knock the bad guy on his A**.
I had to take it out when my wife tried to get in and forgot about the magnetic switch. I heard about that one for many years.
;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finish the story

In the interest of closure, picked up my baby today. new OEM passenger window installed, total $419. As a side benefit I have rearranged the garage so now the insight fits along with my wife's car. Had to keep it inside until the window got replaced, now it can always be inside. Weatherman says big rain tomorrow (northern california) so that window will definitely come in handy.

Regards, Jiim
'01 #191

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am glad it worked out. I hope insurance paid for the window and the install.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Indeed. If it's any consolation, it's a lot cheaper to replace a window than when a thief punches out the locks.

Watch your bank accounts. Sophisticated thieves don't take cards any more, just your numbers and enough 411 to get online banking passwords reset.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts