Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've had these parts machined and sitting around for about 6 months now and now Spring is upon us (well some of us). This means some Insights will be coming out of their slumber to rule the streets once again! There's one issue with that, CVT shifting cables can stick and break. It happened to me and this is why I have designed a fix. Instead of spending $137 at majestic honda and lots of time replacing the complete cable why not just replace the eyelet end for $35 and in a lot less time.

All you need to do is remove the rusted on broken eyelet
slip the new machined part on the transmission lever
slide the cable in the hole
tighten down the setscrews
Then you're back on the road and you can keep that extra $100 in your pocket!

$35 Kit includes:

303 SS machined part
2 -Thread locking set screws
3/32" allen wrench
all in a zip lock bag with shipping included

A little emergency kit just in case you are out of the house and the thing breaks. Why not just leave one in the glove box as an extra insurance policy*. (*not actually an extra insurance policy ;) )

Contact me if you're interested, parts are ready to send out asap.

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If shifting between park and drive feels like someone spilled a drink in there you might be straining the end of the cable.
It was a few years ago but if I remember correctly the first time I had an issue shifting back and forth a bunch seemed to free up the cable. I'm sure I weakened the cable doing that maneuver since the end was being stressed with every shift. The next time it stuck I tried the same move it freed up really well :D... meaning it snapped :( . That's when I decided after seeing the cable assembly costs over $135, that machining a part would be much cheaper/easier.

Tim

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump bump bump :Infrandom:

Still have a bunch ready to send out.

Tim

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still have some available if the need arises for anyone.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
My CVT is really hard to shift, but it was always a California car. If I find its not just a lack of lubrication problem, for 35$ I can't really go wrong getting one of these. I'll probably be in touch in a month or so.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replied to your PM last night. Just awaiting paypal/shipping address and it'll be on the way.

Tim

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All current orders are out for delivery. I think Paypal sends out the tracking number directly to you. If not I can get that to you, just PM me. If there are any issues please let me know.

Tim

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bumping to the top. Still have a few ready to go. Just need somewhere to send them.

Tim

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you would like to purchase one of these links please post here before PMing me. That way I know to check my messages right away. I'm still hoping that someday this website will email you when you get a PM.

oh and I have more kits ready to go if anyone else needs them.

Tim

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
whatcha gonna do with all these bumps, all these bumps inside this thread....

Kits still available if needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
checking in

Howdy, I sent you a personal message,,,, I'd like to buy one of your devices. Please let me know if you have any left. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eric, I've got the shipping label printing as I type this. I will get it in the mail today and you should see it this week. Glad I could help another person save some money.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
9 Posts
success

Howdy Tim and Everyone,
I received my shift cable end adapter and it works great, been buzzing around Cincy for three days. I put some wheel bearing grease and an extra bottom nylon washer on when I installed it, probably a good thing for everyone to do on their stock cables too.
Thanks Tim.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good call on the extra nylon washer, I'll try to locate some and throw them in the kit. I'm glad it worked out for you and you're back to buzzing around, and for less money than replacing the whole cable assembly.

Tim

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Slowly but surely the parts are being scooped up. I still have some ready to go if needed. Shoot me a message if you want one in the glove box or if you already have an issue.

Tim

1 - 20 of 61 Posts