Honda Insight Forum banner

Broken drive shaft

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Insightful Trekker 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Insight with CVT that stopped at a stop sign and then suddenly mad a loud grinding noise and would not move ! At first I thought that the transmission had broken but after the car was towed to the dealer and they inspected the car they say it has a broken drive shaft (half shaft). It will be covered under certified used car warranty but they are having problem getting the part. Has anyone else had the drive shaft brake on there Insight ?

It has been a week now that I have been waiting for the dealer to get the part. Does anyone know if the half shaft on the Insight is the same as the Civic ?

Thanks for any info on this problem,
George

#2 ·
AFAIK no, the axle is unique to the Insight.

But it would be interesting to know if the CV joint has failed. Usually to its "boot" failing first, allowing the lubrication grease to sling out and road "grit" to enter. Commonly this takes many weeks after the boot failure, before the CV joint subsequently fails. And you always get the classic repetative pop, first beginning in sharp _low_ speed turns. Typically turning into a parking space.

As the CV joint wear progresses the popping will intensify _and_ also occur at increasingly shallow turning angles.

HTH! :)

#3 ·
I do not think it was the result of a bad boot. There was no prior indication of a problem with the CV joint and since I change my own oil I suspect I would have noticed a leaking boot. The car only has about 65000 miles so the CV joint should have been OK but I do not know if it was the CV joint or shaft. I ask the service dept. advisor but he said they would not know until they had removed the assembly and looked under the CV boot, so I assume they have ordered the complete half shaft assembly otherwise they would have had to remove it to see what part was needed to rebuild it. They think the part will be in by Monday or Tuesday. I will post more information when I find out more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.