Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife broke the driver's side mirror. She was backing out of the garage and hit a trash can, bending the mirror forward toward the front of the car. A little plastic piece broke off the bottom, and the mirror just kind of flops around on the mount, but it does stay on. We're holding it in place with duct tape.

I wanted to know if this is something that can be repaired? The mirror works fine, just whatever that connects it is broken. Is there a way to get the mirror off and superglue the broken piece back on, and reattach it?

Pictures attached.

Thanks in advance,
Derek

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Kind of hard to tel from the picture which piece needs replacing. Here's the expanded diagram over at Majestic.

Honda Automotive Parts

The broken piece probably has to be replaced, not just glued on. I'd guess it is the mirror garnish which is only $5.73 (probably cheaper to buy locally to save on shipping).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. If it's just a little cheap part that makes me happy. Dealer wanted $500 to replace the mirror.

Can someone give me some pointers on how to get the mirror off, so I can look at this more closely?

Thanks!
Derek

·
Registered
946 Posts
They don't sell that black triangle alone. You have to buy the whole mirror.

Mine was cracked. I fixed it with epoxy from the back.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
JB Weld FTW! I've used it for years with never a failure. 1% of the cost of the dealer repair, and since you'll do it yourself, you'll know it's done right the first time. :D

Or find a mirror off a wrecked Insight... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, thanks! I already have some epoxy, though I don't know if its JB Weld.

Can someone walk me through or point me to a howto on how to get the mirror off and back on without breaking it worse?

Thanks, Derek

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I've had both mirrors off my car, since they were both 'duct taped' when I went to pick up the car in another city.

There was a thread about three months ago that talked about taking the inside door panel off. You will need to find this thread. There was a very detailed discussion about how to do this.

Once the door panel is off, there are three 10 mm nuts that hold the mirror onto to the inside door frame that are removed, along with an electrical connector for the electronic mirror control.

Once you have the mirror off, you can lightly sand any surfaces that need bonding before applying the JB Weld.

I typically place several layers of fiber glass in the mix when gluing this type of assembly back together to ensure it stays fixed, although others may have different methods.

Jim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts