Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd relate the story of my window. (Passenger side triangular window to the rear of the door, don't really know what to call it).

Driving through Oakland, CA on Sunday (near Laney College if you know the area) at about 20mph, looking for a parking place. I heard this crinkling noise, like cellopane being crushed. Looked back to see a network of cracks grow to cover the window. Yikes! There was no other car around, and at that speed pretty unlikley a rock was thrown up from the tire.

Looking closely, there is a dent in the lower right corner of the glass where something had struck it. I didn't hear any impact, just the crinkling so it's a mystery. Window never broke out of the frame, in fact seems pretty solid. I've taped it up to encourage it to stay that way. Will get replaced tomorrow.

Spent 9mm slug? In that town I can't rule it out. Glad it hit the glass and not metal.

Jim
'01 #191

·
Registered
187 Posts
Glad that you're OK which is the main thing.

Wierd about no impact sound. If you do need any body repairs, note the warning label on the car door concerning heat limits during paint cure (I think it's <150 F). Excessive heat harms the batteries.

Be safe and hope it's fixed soon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All fixed

Had the dealer order and replace the glass. Really wanted OEM parts and thougt I'd have to pay more. These were the quotes I got:

1) Safelite glass (national franchise) $259
2) Nationwide insurance would pay $195
3) Dealer $208.

Nationwide uses Safelite, but I guess they get a better price. Safelite does not use Honda glass, they get it from somewhere else. Rep said it would be "almost the same". No thanks.

Anyway, glad it's fixed.

Jim
'01 #191

p.s. Even went trough Oakland yesterday with no further incidents.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts