Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: My knowledge of cars includes only those items which have already broken on my old 1985 Buick Skyhawk. Please excuse me if I mess up technical stuff here. :D

For the last month+, my 2002 CVT has been squeaking and squealing when taking off from a stop. The harder I push it, the louder the squeal. My first thoughts were belts, of course, then transmission. The car had a bad lurching problem when I first got it, but that eased considerably after the dealership flushed the transmission fluid a couple times. Apparently the previous owner wasn't good at keeping up on maintenance.

Fearing the worst, I took it in to the dealership to get it checked out. Surprisingly, they said they found the problem in a broken wire harness bracket in the aluminum crossbar bracing - a $7 part that they'll replace with no labor costs. The part is on order, and should be in next Monday.

I'm happy to get away with a mere $7 fix - but I haven't the foggiest idea where this bracket is, or why it would squeal on acelleration. Can anyone enlighten me? =)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Me too.

If yours is like mine, then it's the middle bracket in the row of 3 on the crossmember right above the exhaust. If you look at the crossmember, you can see how the aluminum has been polished from tge rubbing.

I just have not bothered to fix mine yet, but now that I know the bracket is seperately available and cheap, I'll do it at the next oil change.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's it rubbing against, then? The exhaust? (I'm at work; haven't gone out to look at that spot yet).

They did give me the broken bar, too - stuck it on my keychain, actually. I think I'll keep it. It's the most unique key fob!

Yep, sounds like about as cheap a fix as is possible! It's not a regularly stocked part at my dealership, so I'd suggest ordering it ahead of time just in case. =)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,926 Posts
bracket

How about a pic of the broken bracket so everyone can see!

willie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts