Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us don't have the kind of money the elite Touring model folks have. One of the drawbacks to the EX model is the lack of a built-in garage door opener. I don't like having my "clicker" on display, and I'd rather have a more discreet solution. This guy has a nice, simple solution which I'd like to try. My only question is where to put the button. I don't have fog lights, so there's a blank plate on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. How much of a pain would it be to run wiring up there? Also, I have two different branded openers. How would I deal with two switches in the small piece of real-estate on the dash?

Thoughts on the idea?

https://lifehacker.com/build-a-garage-door-opener-into-your-car-1579716791

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dude. Why don't you buy a home link rearview mirror aftermarket? They aren't very expensive and most come with Auto dimming. Supposedly they aren't too hard to install. Basically that's what Honda sells for a fortune for the car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't like having my "clicker" on display, and I'd rather have a more discreet solution.
I don't mind having a clicker at all. I attach it to the passenger-side visor. I think it is pretty discrete. I have a Liftmaster 893Max. You can also get a small one for your key-chain (LiftMaster 890max). I suspect there's also a good chance that either will work with both of your openers.

So personally I would never muck with my car for something like that but I know some people like to make modifications like that...

So those are my thoughts since you asked. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm only in it for the hidden/discreet part. I park outside, so I don't want the "keys" to my home in plain sight. The Homelink mirrors I've seen are expensive.

There is a button cluster to the left of the steering where in my EX with the right side unused. I may just buy a double rocker switch to replace the blank plate and be able to control both doors from there. It's not a location anyone would suspect to be used for an opener. Just need to source a double rocker momentary switch that fits and looks decent. I've already had that panel off, so it won't be difficult.

·
Registered
17 Posts
CommonSenseAl has provided my solution.

Do not expose your family to risk by having a GDO left in your car.

I too use a small key fob Chamberlain opener. It does not need to left in the car. Additionally I use it to enter or exit my garage. I have a similar one for my community. If I fly out of state, I can let the Airway van back in no matter what time we return. If I take the neighbors dog for a walk, I can get back into the community. Think beyond limiting your access from your car.

There is a possibility that another key might strike the switch and open your GDO.
For that reason, I use one of the smaller two keys and not the large key on my three switch opener.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I finished the GDO install. It's a double momentary rocker switch (I have openers from two different companies). It fits in the blank spot on the EX with a touch of trimming with a Dremel in the inside of the opening. None of this is visable, and I'm still able to move back to the original blank plate if necessary. I soldered leads to the openers per the initial video I posted. The openers themselves sit right behind the panel. I've pulled the sound deadening material out a bit and slipped them behind it. It's been a few weeks, and everything works perfectly. Panel removal is simple as there are no screws. Just pull from the bottom, and it'll come right off. I was able to do the install without the need to disconnect the other switches. I doubt anyone would think to look at this location for a GDO. Hope the photo comes through. HMU if you have any questions. -Don

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I finished the GDO install. It's a double momentary rocker switch (I have openers from two different companies). It fits in the blank spot on the EX with a touch of trimming with a Dremel in the inside of the opening. None of this is visable, and I'm still able to move back to the original blank plate if necessary. I soldered leads to the openers per the initial video I posted. The openers themselves sit right behind the panel. I've pulled the sound deadening material out a bit and slipped them behind it. It's been a few weeks, and everything works perfectly. Panel removal is simple as there are no screws. Just pull from the bottom, and it'll come right off. I was able to do the install without the need to disconnect the other switches. I doubt anyone would think to look at this location for a GDO. Hope the photo comes through. HMU if you have any questions. -Don
Looks really good. If you don't mind... how much time and money did you spend on it and do you think it was worth it?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Looks really good. If you don't mind... how much time and money did you spend on it and do you think it was worth it?
The switch was $11 on Amazon ( https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DOHT0V6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 via prime ), and I had scrap wire and a soldering iron. Total time spent was about 15 minutes. It was totally worth it. Down is left door, up is right. It beats the several hundred that Honda wants for the Homelink mirror.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My garage opener has some aftermarket remotes available that are really small. They are designed to be put on a keychain. On my 2nd gen Insight EX, I velcro one on the inner wall of the door pocket. It is totally hidden there but really easy to use.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My garage opener has some aftermarket remotes available that are really small. They are designed to be put on a keychain. On my 2nd gen Insight EX, I velcro one on the inner wall of the door pocket. It is totally hidden there but really easy to use.
You know, I never thought of the velcro route. That would have been much easier! Too late now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts