Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Use the Insight clutch and flywheel, and machine the HCH input shaft as described in the fitment section. New bearings are sourced from Honda.

If you are going to go after a fit final drive, I would also consider swapping the 2007-2008 Fit ring and pinion as well as the Fit 3rd, 4th, and 5th into a regular Insight transmission case. You could save like eight pounds that way.

Note: This is untested. But it should work.
I.e.: You can swap an HCH ring and pinion into an Insight case and you can swap a fit ring and pinion into an HCH case. These have been done.

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight
32 Posts
So... could I just swap the guts from a 2007 Fit into my trans case and skip the HCH altogether? I tried to update my location on my profile. I live in Fremont, CA. Here are a few pictures of my alternator setup, it’s a custom bracket I designed and welded up out of 1/4” aluminum plate that I had cut on a waterjet. Don’t judge the welds too harshly, it was on a new machine and I was rusty. It uses a standard cheap belt I got off Amazon. If anyone wants more details I can share them in a new thread.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Looks great! Have you removed the IMA motor? Otherwise, an alternator is unnecessary, as the IMA motor can still be made to provide 12v even with all of the electronics in the back of the car removed, and an alternator is just added weight.

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight
32 Posts
I've started a separate thread on my endurance car build here: Link. Details for the overall build can be found there.

Regarding transmission and gear swaps with the Fit, I did some gearing charts like Bull Dog has done and came up with the following possibilities:
Stock Trans:

HCH Trans:

Frankentrans #1 (stock Insight trans with 1st Gen Fit final drive only):

Frankentrans #2 (stock Insight trans with 1st Gen Fit 3, 4, 5 and final drive):

Frankentrans #3 (stock Insight trans with 2nd Gen Fit 3, 4, 5 and final drive):

From what I gather, the 2nd Gen Fit basically just has an even shorter final drive ratio of 4.62:1 compared to the 4.294:1 in the 1st Gen Fit. The rest of the gearing looks about the same. Does anyone know if parts are interchangeable from this generation of Fit as well?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
For your Frankentrans I'd probably still keep the taller Insight/HCH 5th if you're going with a Fit FD. I don't imagine you'll be in 5th too much in endurance racing, and keeping that tall gear will keep it reasonable on the highway.

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight
32 Posts
For your Frankentrans I'd probably still keep the taller Insight/HCH 5th if you're going with a Fit FD. I don't imagine you'll be in 5th too much in endurance racing, and keeping that tall gear will keep it reasonable on the highway.
This car is track only, it will never see the highway again.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,560 Posts
What "endurance" races would you be running in?

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight
32 Posts
The rain is supposed to stop here tomorrow and I’ve got junkyard fever. Should I pull a 1st gen or a 2nd gen Fit trans to get the final drive from? I’d prefer the 2nd gen if anyone can confirm it’ll fit.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Can't confirm but it's likely. Both have nearly identical L15A engines, both are 5 speeds. We can under that since Honda didn't change much internally for K series transmissions between 2002 and 2015, and most parts are cross compatible in those, chances are very good. Only surprise I found was the bearings for the gears in later model years had a larger outer diameter.

·
Registered
03 Insight MT, 94 BMW E34T, 81 Hilux, 73 Ford P400
24 Posts
Instead of machining the input shaft, what about using a different pilot bearing, its ID sized to fit the larger HCH shaft's thicker section? Do you have the latter dimension?

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
I do not. It is also is extremely unlikely to work properly. Some other members who have done this conversion have ground down their input shafts with a Dremel. As far as I know, this does work as long you leave the original machined surface alone.

The pilot bearing's ID is 15mm and Honda machined that area of the input shaft to 14.9mm. On the HCH, the nose is actually tapered slightly.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The amount needed removed is very minimal. Also I could be wrong but the portion of the shaft that sits in the pilot bearing looks treated. If you wanted to modify something else other than the input shaft if you have a shop increase the depth of the fly wheel center section a tiny bit more would fix the issue as well.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts