Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to let you all know about my experience with Bumblebee Batteries. Recently I got fed up with my car's failing battery (last replaced in 2006!) and ordered a MaxIMA battery. Eli was a pleasure to deal with, shipped the product promptly and gave tracking information, and packaged it exceptionally well.
The box, which traversed 2000 miles but arrived in perfect shape, even came with a roll of tape and a disposable dispenser for repacking the core battery! The icing on the cake was a thank-you card that really made me feel good about supporting a small business.

Replacing the battery was a breeze, using jeff652's excellent instructions (saved from HBR I think) at Hybrid Automotive .
The battery itself is monstrous. Loads of power with negligible voltage drop, prodigious regen abilities, and quick recharging. All I need now is MIMA to get the full advantage of this amazing new battery. All in all I'm thrilled with this battery and recommend Bumblebee Batteries wholeheartedly to anyone considering an upgrade.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
I'd like to let you all know about my experience with Bumblebee Batteries. Recently I got fed up with my car's failing battery (last replaced in 2006!) and ordered a MaxIMA battery. Eli was a pleasure to deal with, shipped the product promptly and gave tracking information, and packaged it exceptionally well.
The box, which traversed 2000 miles but arrived in perfect shape, even came with a roll of tape and a disposable dispenser for repacking the core battery! The icing on the cake was a thank-you card that really made me feel good about supporting a small business.

Replacing the battery was a breeze, using jeff652's excellent instructions (saved from HBR I think) at Hybrid Automotive .
The battery itself is monstrous. Loads of power with negligible voltage drop, prodigious regen abilities, and quick recharging. All I need now is MIMA to get the full advantage of this amazing new battery. All in all I'm thrilled with this battery and recommend Bumblebee Batteries wholeheartedly to anyone considering an upgrade.
Good to hear that RJB, I've got my 'notebook' marked with Eli's name when the time comes. (my pack was replaced in '07) I've seen Jeff's instructions as well. Did you do the install yourself, with help? Extra set of hands (and muscle) recommended? How long to install for someone who's never done one? Mistakes / hazards to avoid?

..Bob

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear that RJB, I've got my 'notebook' marked with Eli's name when the time comes. (my pack was replaced in '07) I've seen Jeff's instructions as well. Did you do the install yourself, with help? Extra set of hands (and muscle) recommended? How long to install for someone who's never done one? Mistakes / hazards to avoid?

..Bob
I did the install myself in an unheated garage! The job was easy, just read the instructions on hybridautomotive.com carefully. Took me a couple of hours, taking my sweet time. I recommend breaking the bolts loose with a wrench and then using a cordless drill with a socket attachment to get the bolts out; for installation, recommend starting the bolts in the threads by hand and then using the drill to get them snugged. Saves a lot of time and effort.

The pack was a pain to get out by myself without the lifter or anything but it was doable. It is one of those things though that safety is very important on, whether you risk electrocuting yourself (wear electrical gloves) or hurting your back (get a helper or use careful form, don't strain), so I would proceed with those factors accounted for.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The MPG gains are very real. Today the weather was absolute crap going in to work and I got 73mpg on a drive that I would have achieved 58mpg on with the old battery.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The battery itself is monstrous. Loads of power with negligible voltage drop, prodigious regen abilities, and quick recharging. All I need now is MIMA to get the full advantage of this amazing new battery.
When I think of MIMA (and even the HCH IMAC&C with the super assist) based on what I have read the mental image of a mule skinner driving a team of 20 mules and a bull whip come to mind. The other image might be getting those sled dog teams ready for that long race across Alaska and their tongues hanging out. Is that fair? Will using MIMA have any impact on the longevity of your new pack?

·
Administrator
10,772 Posts
Will using MIMA have any impact on the longevity of your new pack?
No one really knows, and it depends on how you use MIMA or IMAC&C. Common sense says that if you use something more (more assist/regen) it will likely wear out a bit quicker. Every battery has a finite life. It will be several years before we likely see any adverse effects IMHO, and by then it will be virtually impossible to distinguish a MIMA induced failure from a normal IMA induced failure. However as a final thought exercise is also good for you, and I have seen packs that work best when given a real hammering. So you make your own choices.

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
Still waiting for a spec/do's/don't of grid charging for the BBB.

Willie

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not too much. About 75lbs.

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
I think around 55 pounds is about right.
Or I'm stronger than I thought I was.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I honestly don't know the weight value. It's a 2 man lift and borders on breaking your back with poor posture.

I got one at a used import shop and it was a monster pack with everything else still bolted to it.

Seal up the blower ducts with aluminum tape to improve air flow.

What are the approved plugins and grid chargers for the bumblebee battery?

I would be interested in a plugin when I get my bumblebee so I can plugin sometime.

Cheers!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, everyone has their own personal limits for what they can heft and hoist. I was able to do the battery solo no problem, but then again, I've also done transmission swaps by pushing them on/letting them fall onto my chest and hefting them up into the tunnel, and these are 150-170lb A340E transmissions I'm talking about. Most folks wouldn't.... really want to do that. I just made do. My back is okay.

By the way, today I got almost 90mpg on my all-highway circuit going to work and back. Never got MPG this good before. Love life with the amazing new battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Excited!

Have driven my Insight with new Bumblebee battery about 350 miles....mostly highway into a 15mph wind at 68 mph with 100 miles city driving...hitting 61mpg!!!!

I have noticed it wants to hit 70-75 mpg when I drive it 60mph.....No more hesitation, plenty of power for cruising and torque for passing.

Thanks Eli for creating Bumblebee Batteries!!:D

Frank Bender

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Ditto all that. Experience with Eli was great and my car is so much more fun to drive. My only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner.:D I made this battery lifter from 2 inch angle iron and some 1/2" threaded rod. Simple, cheap and comes apart when you're done for compact storage.

2001 G1, 5MT, AC, Silver

·
Registered
7 Posts
To add to the success stories using Bumblebeee, I installed my replacement pack today. All went quite well with no problems. This is so much better than having Honda do the replacement. I'll be giving it a good workout in the next few days as I drive from MN to IL.

Bumblebee is A+++!

Alan

P.S.... The original battery made it to 297k before the IMA light came on. Ready for another 300k!

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Guys, Save your back and do as Matt (and I) have done. Get some angle iron from Home Depot and make this yourself. Piece of cake for me and the girlfriend.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I bought materials to do it and then realized I could just set a foot in the trunk and lift it out without additional contraptions. So I ended up returning my materials.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts