Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Another HAPPY Customer

I just had my 2005 Insight's battery replaced this past Thursday. I ordered the battery from Bumblebee. They were extremely patient with me and answered all my questions. They even called around and found a local shop who was willing to install the battery for me (and believe me, in KY thats a tall order -- most shops don't want to work on my little baby for some reason!) The shop did a great job -- it took them half a day and they only charged me $150. My car was the first one the shop had ever done, but it saved me a journey to Cincy in winter. :)

Everything went smoothly and my car now acts like new. I had really missed the get up an go it used to have before the battery went bad! Thank you Bumblebee Batteries!

·
Registered
10 Posts
...and ANOTHER very happy customer. I don't have mileage stats to share yet, because weather has been crazy stormy in Georgia, but the car (2000 Insight 5-sp manual) is clearly performing better than when new! One hilly road trip that used to require downshifting to 4th or even 3rd in order to maintain constant speed is now doable in 5th, and the charge level drops only 2 ticks most of the time. Awesome performance! And replacement was done at home in about 5 hours by a guy in his 70's with help from another for removal and insertion of the pack. BTW, I was taking lots of breaks! Kudos to BBB for an excellent battery pack! Oh, and shipping weight was 76 pounds, so the pack weighs about 72.

·
Registered
96 Posts
...and ANOTHER very happy customer. I don't have mileage stats to share yet, because weather has been crazy stormy in Georgia, but the car (2000 Insight 5-sp manual) is clearly performing better than when new! One hilly road trip that used to require downshifting to 4th or even 3rd in order to maintain constant speed is now doable in 5th, and the charge level drops only 2 ticks most of the time. Awesome performance! And replacement was done at home in about 5 hours by a guy in his 70's with help from another for removal and insertion of the pack. BTW, I was taking lots of breaks! Kudos to BBB for an excellent battery pack! Oh, and shipping weight was 76 pounds, so the pack weighs about 72.
It is really good to hear all of the positive comments about Bumble Bee Batteries. My Insight is a 2010 but I plan on having it for years so hopefully when I need to replace mine the will have the gen 2 batteries. I will pick quality and service over price every time but it appears Bumble Bee Batteries has quality, price and excellent service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ditto

Eli replaced my 2005 Insight's battery pack yesterday and I am delighted. It was a treat to meet him and to visit with Haley. All that and get to drive the passes at the speed limit instead of crawling along.

:D

Thanks, -Wendy

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just got a new Bumblebee Battery

2002 CVT insight 88K

Just got it installed at FEMW here in Atlanta area. It is truly amazing how much difference it makes to the car. I have owned an insight since 2003, just cvt, but still, I have some experience. Accelerates faster, coasts longer. Even makes the engine sound better like it doesn't have to work as hard. I need to drive around to see about gas mileage. My hubby is so impressed he's been driving it and he does not drive for high mpg.

My thought is that if you need to replace it, do it. It is so much better than the original and any remanufactured Honda battery that I've gotten in years past with warranty work. It improves the whole car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Red,

Thanks for posting the info.

What is the "MIMA" about which you wrote? I have been driving my 2000 Insight (210K miles) with a bad pack since August and was worried that I'll buy the new pack, then need something else expensive and perhaps no longer available and I will have just blown a wad on a car I cannot drive/get inspected.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bumblebee Battery Experience

I Finally bit the bullet and bought a new battery pack for my 2006 insight. I didn't see that many posts from owners about their Maxima batteries... so after much thought I committed to purchasing one from Eli at Bumblebee. The process was painless. I placed my order online and it shipped the next day. It came from Oregon to NC so it took a week via FedEx. The packaging was fantastic and it arrived in perfect condition. Installation was a breeze as I followed their YouTube video on my phone as I worked. Battery weighs around 75 pounds and it has three handles so lifting was not a problem. Use two people and each person only lifts around 35-40 pounds. Mileage went from the high 40's to the mid 60's:cool: Needless to say I am very happy! If you have any questions about whether you can install a battery yourself please do yourself a favor and watch the Bumblebee installation video on YouTube.

·
Registered
28 Posts
another satisfied customer

I received my new Bumblebee battery yesterday and installed it myself. I was going to wait for my wife to help lift it, but when I took the new battery out of the box it didn't seem too heavy, I weighed it and it is 65 lbs without the cooling fan. By using a table at the back of the car and standing in the trunk, as suggested in the EXCELLENT youtube Bumblebee installation video, I was able to handle it. Not that I don't recommend two people for lifting! I'm not all that strong or handy, and almost every project I tackle seems to have some kind of complication along the way, but this battery swap was one of the most successful do-it-yourself things I have ever done! I attribute it to the excellent Honda design and the great Bumblebee installation video. Watch it all the way through and then start and stop it and watch it as you do the work, very straight forward! I did most of the disassembly the day before the battery arrived and did the installation the next day, made it easier. By the way, my battery came in a foam padded hard plastic case from Bumblebee, so there wasn't even any messing with bubble wrap to send it back! Stop agonizing (like I did) about wether you should order a Bumblebee battery, and go ahead and do it, they make the process of replacing your pack really easy!

·
Registered
49 Posts
another satisfied customer

Have had only a few days so far with my Bumblebee battery, but so far so good. It's taking me a while to get used to driving with a dependable IMA system again. Was so used to trying to baby it to avoid turning on the IMA light. In the end, the IMA light came on every trip no matter what I did. 72000 miles since the first pack was replaced by the previous owner, so I guess I did okay with it.

Eli and Haley were a breeze to deal with. Packaging is well designed for re-use and provides great protection for the pack. Replacement was easy, taking the prescribed 3 hours not including time spent going to the store to buy a new T30 Torx bit after the one I had broke. :(

I hope their business continues (indeed it does sound like they're thriving) since I plan to return to them next time my pack needs replacing. :)
___
Neil

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just over a year with Bumblebee battery

So far, so great! I'm so, so glad we didn't go with the dealer (inferior battery, they make you buy a computer, and wanted to charge almost 5K-ouch).
As noted in many other posts here the Bumblebee people are extremely patient-and even helped me find a mechanic to install it. We have been getting about 55 mpg, better than before (no hypermiler here-I'm more than happy with 50-55). More companies should be like Bumblebee with great service and a great product!!! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ordered my new Bumblebee battery pack for my 2004 Insight CVT....can't wait for it to get here!

I've been babying my old pack for a couple years....installed charger hookup and used a charger (a lot), was having to reset ECU 2-3 times on 200mi trips. Very frustrating.

I'll advise how it goes...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am looking to buy a civic hybrid and the seller says he replaced the battery with one from bumblebee batteries. Can anyone upload a scan of their invoice (with your info blocked out of course) so I can confirm what their invoices look like and be able to compare them to this sellers invoice? I don't want to buy the car under false pretense if the seller is lying about the battery. I'm in AZ and there are a lot of shady people here and there is no lemon law here for private party car sales.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Private message Eli (Bumblebee) with information about the seller and he may be able to verify the warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
its out of warranty for sure. I'm not looking for the warranty, just that this guy has replaced it at all and with what cells.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Eli will be able to verify this. Especially if you have an invoice. The invoice will have a number, date, and amount, and there is a separate warranty certificate.

Sam

·
Registered
59 Posts
A little over a year after new BumbleBee battery....still working great! Best money spent so far on my little car....

·
Registered
50 Posts
another satisifed owner

in one word.... wow.

Ordered it last Thursday, it arrived on one week 6 business days later and the removal / installation is just as easy as the video on the site. Frustratingly, whomever replaced the battery in 2010 didn't have a clue as they lost or ate 6 of the bolts for the lid of the battery case (not one of the three across the bottom were there).

I'd compare the before/after performance after the replacement as similar to replacing an old mattress - due to the gradual decay I just didn't recognize how weak it had gotten. Obviously it can't compete w/ my 327, but I'd hazard it will walk away from my wife's 2014 Prius handily now.

Eli, thank you again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
did mine 4.5 years ago

:DReplaced mine 4.5 years ago with Eli's battery. Very Happy. For long periods of time of non use, I hook up Jeff's trickle charger to rebalance the pack. 209k miles

We have 2007 Prius Hybrid that still is on the original pack. Glad to see that Eli has expanded his product line. 150k miles

Gave the 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid to our son in law last year. Periodically, I re balance the pack for him. 250k miles

21 - 38 of 38 Posts